Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was talking to a guy who has a R1, and he said he lost some good weight off his bike by removing all the smog stuff. he put on an aftermarket exaust also. had the bike tuned to accomidate the clearner intake and better flowing exaust. said he lost 22lbs and gained 18hp.

anyone know what results would be on doing this on a 98zx6r weight/hp wise?

can you remove all the smog crap, keep the stock exaust, and w/o tuning it - have it run well ? so basically - is tuning neccessary?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replace end can. Fit alloy footrests. Alloy or titaum nuts. Single race seat unit. Race handlebars. Race body work. This will save lots of wieght! ALL THE PARTS ARE EASY TO GET IN THE U.K. LATER EMU.

mark emmerson

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You can remove some of the smog stuff and keep the stock exhaust. You won't see much if any horsepower increase. You might lose a couple of pounds. It might help a little with smooth running in the mid-range.

Look for treads discussing the PAIR mod.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Also the california models had another piece under the passenger seat don't they?
charcoal or something to help clean more?
I asked my dealer what the mount inside my trunk was and he said the Cali models have that there (this is for an 02 model)

I dunno if a 98 has the same or not? On the 02 Non-Cali ones there is nothing under the passenger seat in the main trunk area.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
142 Posts
he removed the emissions and gained what with just an exhaust? How much weight did he loose? I hate to be the one that addresses this but your friend is full of shit. the smog crap is just a few hoses routed from your airbox to your exhaust manifold and a 1/2 lb condensor.. The stock exhaust does weigh a little more but not 21 lbs!!! Unless his R1 is magical an exhaust whether it is a slip on or a full exhaust is not going to give you 18 hp. The bike does breathe more efficient but it's not a magic Pill. I can tell you I have a yoshi carbon exhaust, all emissions removed, a hose running from my exhaust manufold to my crank case to give it a vacum affect to help it rev faster, an ignition advancer, K&N air filter and it's jetted. I am not even close to a 18 hp gain.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I often hear outrageous claims about horsepower gains. Just the other day this salesman at the local Kawasaki dealer was telling me about his 180 hp ZX-11. He then proceeded to tell me about all the modifications. A jet kit and Muzzy pipe and even a K&N air filter. That's it. That might be good for 135 hp, but 180 hp is out of the question. Some guys don't even realize how silly their claims really are. It seems to win them friends and increases the interest in their bike, which is all they're after. The guy Speedy was listening to was obviously in this same category. I usually just walk away from someone making such wild claims as they cannot stop the exaggerations, and nothing can be gained by continuing the conversation.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i have to agree with "mark emmerson" on this one. LOL what the fuck?? this dude never really makes any sense.[?] and what is EMU.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I live in CA and just replaced the can on my 02 with a yosh zyclone. I am going to weigh the stock can but I would say I saved maybe 3-4 lbs with this change.

So, your friend and the 22lbs, well, I think it has been covered above.

Dream on dude!

Brucelee
2002 6R Chrome Yellow

"It is the art of fighting, without fighting!"

·
Registered
142 Posts
Damn... I just took the reflectors off the front fork near my brakes and it saved me 70lbs!!! I had my bike dyno'd after the reflector removal and it jumped up to 193 bhp.. hurry remove your reflectors

·
Registered
81 Posts
Had a crap before riding today did'nt help the bike much but geez I felt lighter, it was good for a couple of tenths down the 1/4 Mile. ....LOL!!!
Maybe the R1'er filled his tyres with hydrogen must be good for a few pounds...(Joke,don't do it)... would have handled like the Hindenburg, oh yeah thats how they handle originally.

Confidence and Ability should not be Confused
ZX636-B1

·
Registered
156 Posts
The stock can is 11 lbs. Wow is that heavy or what? Don't know what the new Yohsi weighs as I was in such a hurry to install I did not weigh it.

Anyone know?

Brucelee
2002 6R Chrome Yellow

·
Registered
156 Posts
The stock can is 11 lbs. Wow is that heavy or what? Don't know what the new Yohsi weighs as I was in such a hurry to install I did not weigh it.

Anyone know?

Brucelee
2002 6R Chrome Yellow

·
Registered
156 Posts

Anyone know?

Brucelee
2002 6R Chrome Yellow

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dealer says the yosh weighs about 4 lbs. So, I saved 7 lbs just by dumping the stock can. Good deal.

What is next to save weight?

Brucelee
2002 6R Chrome Yellow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.