Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the site, great forum by the way. Anyways, I'm thinking of getting the 650r but my main concern is how it handles on the highway. I cant decide between this bike or a 750-1100 cc cruiser, I was able to take a closer look at one yesterday and the bike seemed pretty small and light which makes me think it might get tossed around on the highway. Just want to get some more input so I can make my decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This bike all and all handles excellent. It more depends on what you want it for. If its going to be for longer rides you need to either get a cruiser or mod the seat. It has great power in every gear. It does get kicked around by high winds (I.E 20mph or more) other than that Im very happy with how it rides.:)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I took mine on its first long highway ride a couple days ago (60 miles from school to home). It rode fine. There was a little bit of wind, but I didn't feel like I was getting knocked around. I was very impressed with the handling, even at speeds slightly over the posted limit... I've never been on a cruiser, so I can't compare the two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on doing mostly city riding but on the weekends I'm usually doing a 100+ mile roadtrip. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buy It

That sounds about what I ride. Daily to work then night class then home is about 45 - 50 miles or so with city and highway riding. I think the bike does fine on the highway. I do get blown around a little but not bad - I am on a bike its going to happen. The passing power is nice also. As for comfort no prob for daily riding. I've ridden 450+ mile long weekends and a cruiser would have been nicer then but... If you do go with after market seat DO NOT GET CORBIN I have one and wish I spent the money elsewhere. I do plan to get a cruiser also but glad I got the 650r first and will keep it along with cruiser.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 650 does very well on the highway as well. I ride about 40 miles daily on it. My only complaint is that I dont like sitting upright...i probably should have gotten a 6R to being with but I dont think the 6R would have been as forgiving of a newer rider like myself as the 650R is.

·
Registered
854 Posts
have you thought about sport bars?? cheaper than getting a 6r....

·
Registered
122 Posts
i frequently ride between orlando to tampa (130mi. round trip), my bike is 6 months old with 8000+ on it. i love it on the highway, personally im 5'7 and i just pop the back footpegs out and pretty much lay on the bike with the bottom of my feet on the pegs and in a full tuck up front. it gets a little achy after about 30 min. or so, just pop back up for a few min then right back down. it handels great on the highway, the only issue ive noticed is if your too close behind an suv, you,ll know it fast. it likes to wobble when your too close. but other than that its wonderful.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't forget to consider how you will be dressed on the bike. If you are wearing street clothing you will get a lot more buffetting from the wind at high speeds than you will if you have a sleek, form fitting jacket, etc.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Don't forget to consider how you will be dressed on the bike. If you are wearing street clothing you will get a lot more buffetting from the wind at high speeds than you will if you have a sleek, form fitting jacket, etc.
:plusone:

If you ride in a set of racing style leathers that fit you will notice a HUGE drop in wind buffeting. I don't like to ride in anything else anymore.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took a trip from Gainesville to Orlando the other day, i thought the bike did great its amazing how comfortable the bike is. Really easy to lay on the tank and just cruise. Then again i'm 5'5 so it might just fit me. I felt fine except for the wind noise which bothered me some even with ear plugs. All in all the passing power and stability were immense. I looking into getting some sport bars so i can get more tuck going on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
ya, to add to my earlier post, i wear a nice fitting icon merc 3 jacket, jeans, and boots just about everytime i ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find that when I ride the 650 on the highway the wind can get really annoying. I'm 5'11 and it seems like the wind coming over the screen hits me right under the front of my helmet, so I get a lift effect on my helmet from the wind. That could just be all in my head though.

Another thing I'm not a huge fan of on the 650 is that it's hard for me to lay over the tank and really get behind the windscreen comfortably. I am comparing that to my ZX10 though, which seems to have been designed to allow people to take a nap on the tank during rides.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I find that when I ride the 650 on the highway the wind can get really annoying. I'm 5'11 and it seems like the wind coming over the screen hits me right under the front of my helmet, so I get a lift effect on my helmet from the wind. That could just be all in my head though.
Same here, same height. It seems to hit real hard below the chin and right in the chest. I plan on getting one of the bar set-ups hoping that it helps this problem as well. I'm guessing that it will only hurt gas mileage with that much wind hitting me like that. Haven't experienced any other problems on the highway though, besides the mirrors which I have to have perfect to see behind me well enough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah wind is annoying, but really not bad in a full tuck. its actually a pretty heavy bike compared to most supersports so it really doesn't get blown around all that much, and you get used to it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
took my bike up to 115mph on the freeway and it handles fine. i only partially tuck though. i think i need to try my bro's bike and see how it handles at high speed compared to the 650.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
This bike does as well on the highway as any other sportbike I have ridden. One nice thing about the 650 though is it get excellent mileage, I average around 55 mpg.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts