Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
having trawled through all of the posts regarding running temperature,i really don't fancy the idea of my bike running at 100C and thereabouts before the (apparently weedy) fan cuts in.
surely something thats meant to run in the region of 70-80C would be better kept in that range if possible.
call me paranoid if you will,but i would rather have a switch for when i'm stuck in traffic.
i have an 02 model.
anyone know how to fit a switch/bigger fan even ?? or do peeps think it'll be fine with a switch ? presumably the auto fan switch will still work aswell as the manual.
thanks in advance,
Mr. A. Noob 8 )
col

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I tried using a switch, but if you sit there long enough the fan will not keep it cool. I left the auto switch hooked up. I spliced into one wire going to the switch and ran a wire to my toggle switch. Then I spliced into the other and ran it to the other side of the toggle switch. Then, you have got to decide where you want to put the toggle. I mounted mine in the left fairing by the overflow tank behind the auto switch. Muzzy sales a replacement fan blade which is aluminum instead of that plastic thing that you have. The fins on it are bigger and is also lighter than the old one. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour to put in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice one,thanks.
probably just being paranoid about it,but still think it would be nice to have the option of starting the fan early if stuck in traffic,other than letting the temp climb to what i think is pretty damn high before it cuts in.
sure kawasaki must have figured it out (at least,they probably did) but i'd still like to have the option.
will check out the replacement fan aswell.
cheers,
col

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I wired mine to the flasher switch. In all my years of driving, I've NEVER used my flashers. I also mounted a second fan on the other side of the rad. There would be no way to get anything bigger in there. I never got a chance to try the new setup out when it was still warm, so I have no idea if it did any better or not.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have two radiator fans in the garage do you think it would be possible to mount one on the other side and then splice the wiring so they run together? or would it not get enough power to run either properly?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
That's what I did. Just bump the fuse up to a 15 or 20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.