Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, ive got all sorts of performance stuff on my bike and its several lb's lighter.Once in a while on the 2 freeway i get that friggin needle to 190 but i dought im goin that fast seriously we're talkin 190mph here. how fast do these nines really go?

·
Registered
876 Posts
depends on your sprockets, I'd bet 190 not that far off with stock sprockets, probly mid 180's... my speedo is fairly accurate with the radar signs they leave on the side of the road once in a while.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Originally posted by Buckwild
I've NEVER reached 150 on mine, I wonder what 180something looks like [:0]
Last night I reached 170 mph on mines.... My helmet was so stuck to my face that I could hardly breath hahaha crazy.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my sprocket in the back is 3 up

yea , at top speed the wind seems like its trying to pull me off the bike...especially when im wearing just a jacket and some dickies.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Registered top speed according to any articles or charts I have seen was right around 170. I doubt that it breaks 180 even if the speedo will say 190. Theres supposed to be about a 10 percent, and according to some a 15 percent speedo differential so 190 is more like 172-176 or so tops. I've seen 173 on mine, and it feels fast enough, but it wasn't maxed out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
sportrider report the top speed for a stock 98/99 at just on 170mph (tho indicating about 190) and thats hitting the rev limiter in top gear

the 00-03 models have slightly taller gears and were pulling 173mph on the radar gun/GPS

speedo might be semi-accurate around 65mph but just gets worse from there

you can drop all the weight and get all the extra hp in the world, but if thats the speed they do stock while hitting the limiter in top then you gotta either go up on the front or down on the rear to go any faster

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I'll tell ya what, it takes 215hp to go 201.75mph on a real light ZX9(FACT!) ask how i know that!. Realistically, your done at about 165mph if your in the 140-150hp range.

Chris

·
Registered
507 Posts
would one of the small GPS's, track that fast????... just a thought

·
Registered
367 Posts
yes

would get a better reading if you try and hold the top speed steady for a while, rather than back off as soon as you get there. keep one eye on the road tho, especially if its peak hour traffic [:p]

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally posted by nitrouschris
I'll tell ya what, it takes 215hp to go 201.75mph on a real light ZX9(FACT!) ask how i know that!. Realistically, your done at about 165mph if your in the 140-150hp range.

Chris
not according to my boyz garmin gps last week... try 176. do you realize how quick ~10 miles clicks off at that speed?
and oh btw... don't sit up 'til your back below 130[:M24]

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Originally posted by ******

not according to my boyz garmin gps last week... try 176. do you realize how quick ~10 miles clicks off at that speed?
and oh btw... don't sit up 'til your back below 130[:M24]
Ever been to Maxton? didnt think so...I gaurantee you havent seen 176mph. The amount of power it takes to push air at that speed, you are making no where near. I trust an timed standing mile over a GPS all day long(mine said 245mph by the way) But think what you will.

Peace
Chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
Chris, we have talked a few years ago, and respect your opinions, but I think his 176 might be more possible than you think. I have a '99 9R, with a DynoJet jet kit, and a Hindle pipe, I have done no dyno testing, just seat of the pants. That being said, I also have done the Sigma 800 bicycle computer mod. The Sigma 800 you calibrate by measuring your tire circumference and input the size in mm into the computer. The computer is has an accuacy of +/- 1 mph to 186mph. I have checked mine with stopwatches against measured miles more than once, checked against the police radar boxes they set up in the trailors along the road again, more than once and I have been within 1 mph every time.

I have a best top speed, using the Sigma 800, of 174.3 mph, with stock gearing. On this run, I had about 500 rpm's left in 6th gear and had to slow due to running out of straight road.

There could be some error due to tire growth at speed, but I have tested the computer at 120 mph on measured miles and always was within 1 mph. Also, these 120 mph tests were done with a chase car,with the passenger running a stopwatch, not by me on the bike.

·
Registered
367 Posts
somebody on here mentioned their C model would just do a GPS indicated 170mph before the rev limiter kicks in in top gear... which sounds about given the gear ratios, tyre size and rev limit

·
Registered
803 Posts
well...well...Everyone knows the 2000 ZX9 has 200mph on the dash..... I have gotten mine up to a hair from the 200 mark...... I do know that im NOT doing anywhere near that actually but do know im 175-180ish......In 4th gear at the 1/4 mile i was doin 10.1's @ 134....now i know with 2 more gears i got 40 more (actual) mph left in her......just my .02

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by goforlow
Chris, we have talked a few years ago, and respect your opinions, but I think his 176 might be more possible than you think. I have a '99 9R, with a DynoJet jet kit, and a Hindle pipe, I have done no dyno testing, just seat of the pants. That being said, I also have done the Sigma 800 bicycle computer mod. The Sigma 800 you calibrate by measuring your tire circumference and input the size in mm into the computer. The computer is has an accuacy of +/- 1 mph to 186mph. I have checked mine with stopwatches against measured miles more than once, checked against the police radar boxes they set up in the trailors along the road again, more than once and I have been within 1 mph every time.

I have a best top speed, using the Sigma 800, of 174.3 mph, with stock gearing. On this run, I had about 500 rpm's left in 6th gear and had to slow due to running out of straight road.

There could be some error due to tire growth at speed, but I have tested the computer at 120 mph on measured miles and always was within 1 mph. Also, these 120 mph tests were done with a chase car,with the passenger running a stopwatch, not by me on the bike.
wooo weee mr bike scientist [:M117]

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by modcrazy

wooo weee mr bike scientist [:M117]
As a matter of fact, his methodology is FAR superior to any of the other top end claims I've seen in this thread or any other. You can't argue with a stopwatch and a measured distance (assuming the distance and watch are accurate).

Almost all other claims are unsubstantiated. Kudos, goforlow...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.