Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How fast is a 2005 ZX6R with mods?

6K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  carbonr1 
#1 ·
Well after my Monday tyrackday i wanted to share my experience with how my ZX6R was compared to the other bikes... I am 235lbs no gear..a BMF [8D]
Mods for speed included...
Race bodywork
Full Akrapovic Race
Wire Jumper
Descreened Air Filter
Custom mapped PCIII
+2 rear sprocket

Well on the front straights i was running down aprilia milles in various states of tune new & older models.
Ducatis 916-999S the S was a 2004 model...all with vcvarious mods..

The GSxr 750 was ridden by a way lighter rider with full system and PCIII...He dead even till about 100MPH and then slowly started to pull away..

A guy on a R1 LE that was ridden by smaller guy, i could outdrag him to @115mph, then he would blow by me like i was just cruising along..

The GSXR 1000's were the same way, always cathing up and passing me like i was just Be Bopping along...

While riding i seemed to get thru all the turns quicker, but get nuked about half way down the straights..oh well so much for being a BMF!!! If i was 150lbs damn this bike could really haul some ass.

See less See more
#6 ·
well we are talking a 636 veruse liter class bikes for the most part.

i know My Rc51 does right at 132Rwhp on the same dyno as my ZX6R which does 115Rwhp...And a ducati 999 does what over 130Rwhp as well.
So we are not talking about 1000cc I4's which all do over 150Rwhp..but i sure as hell fwere giving them fits in the turns..

On the -1 CS sprocket Holy shit -2 rear made a huge difference to the bike
More then the Akra & PCIII with custom map....defineatley a cheap mod worth the money

#8 ·
Originally posted by jdgun_13

On the -1 CS sprocket Holy shit -2 rear made a huge difference to the bike
More then the Akra & PCIII with custom map....defineatley a cheap mod worth the money
I've been comtemplating a gear change. What exactly gives you the "holy shit" feeling about it? Which would you recommend over the other?

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious.[:M64]

#11 ·
Originally posted by tweakmon

I've been comtemplating a gear change. What exactly gives you the "holy shit" feeling about it? Which would you recommend over the other?

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious.[:M64]
In my opinion drop a tooth on the front because its quicker, cheaper and it's the same as adding 2.74 to the rear (I believe). So that alone is going to give you the more noticeable difference and you can do it yourself in about 30 mins. That "holy shit" feeling is from all the torque and it puts the bike into the powerband much quicker. Around town its much better and even highway/high speeds its awesome. Im not out to set landspeed records. Im sure it will still do 155-160. Just do it, you wont regret it.

#16 ·
The +2 on the back for me brought the bike more into the power band right off the bat..far more throttle response from it..also it pulls thru the gears alot harder and faster as well.
As far as losing top speed if thats your thing, i dont think you will lose much of any, as i am not even sure the 6R will pull redline in 6th gear with stock gearing..or at least it will take a long ass straight to do it.

With the +2 the bike pulled so much harder out of all the corners
and was fully usable with the dial in the 6-8,000Rpm zone.

I will say that you best have a steering damper if you are playing with the gearing and have done other mods, as she gets very light in 1st-3rd gear when winding her out..
I promise to have pics of my bike up tomorrow, after Ups comes as there was an issue with getting a wrong part, but the right one is being overnighted..[:p]

#17 ·
Originally posted by jdgun_13
The +2 on the back for me brought the bike more into the power band right off the bat..far more throttle response from it..also it pulls thru the gears alot harder and faster as well.
As far as losing top speed if thats your thing, i dont think you will lose much of any, as i am not even sure the 6R will pull redline in 6th gear with stock gearing..or at least it will take a long ass straight to do it.

With the +2 the bike pulled so much harder out of all the corners
and was fully usable with the dial in the 6-8,000Rpm zone.

I will say that you best have a steering damper if you are playing with the gearing and have done other mods, as she gets very light in 1st-3rd gear when winding her out..
I promise to have pics of my bike up tomorrow, after Ups comes as there was an issue with getting a wrong part, but the right one is being overnighted..[:p]
Very light is an understatement, i just dropped one and first gear is a light switch for wheelies, either on or off . . . its great:D

#18 ·
Originally posted by 2005 zx6-r

There's nothing wrong with taking it off with an impact gun. Putting the new one on is where you need the proper torque setting.
I know there is nothing wrong but it is a problem when you dont have air tools available lol. I gotta find a place that rents them!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.