Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering how hard it would be to do a glow in the dark paint job?i considered haveing it done, but i figured if it wasnt too hard i could do it myself. so is it like common since? or really hard?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Do you have any background in painting or body work? To you have a paint gun? Do you plan on rattle canning it? Are you talking about a glow in the dark clear coat? or the whole bike painted a custom color that glows?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i concider myself a pretty good artist, im good with spray paint (if that will help)i was planing to do some glown flames on top of a black ninja250. and i dont have a paint gun a freind does an i can borrow it. and i have no clue what rattle canning it means. would that be hard to do?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rattle can = spray paint

Painting with a true spray gun is an art, you have to master the trigger of it to truley get a perfect paint job, but its something that can be done by a begginer if you follow the proper method

the glow in the dark paint is an addative similar to what is used in a a pearl paint job. and it also does not last so dont expect it to glow in the dark 6 months from now if you have it out in the sun all the time

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well what if i kept it in the garage? would that help?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I did a rattle can job on my ex500 in duplicolor schoolbus yellow that no one ever thought was from a can :D I took my time and it turned out good. Watch out for humidity, and I would get a new can when there was about 1/4 left in it so that it didn't start spitting on the piece I was working on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Once you you start sanding you will probably say to yourself WTF was I thinking? All kidding aside a rattle can is an aerosol can of paint, if you go this route, be prepared to sand your brains out and then be rewarded with a less than spectactular finish. I am an amateuer but I have painted my Caddy, my Jag, my Pick up and my drums 3 times. I get better each time. But after you factor in the cost of the compressor the gun (don't get a cheapie, defeats the purpose) the regulator the air/water separator, the sandpaper, the fine line tape, the cleaners, the reducers, paint hardeners and the clear coat, the hours of prep work, the cleaning of the garage, the lint free suit and on and on, I always say I could have paid a pro to do it for me for less. But I wouldn't have the bragging rights to say I did it myself.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I used spray cans to paint my first bike after I wrecked. I got a lot of compliments, it just didnt look good up close (kinda flat). On my next bike, I bought it wrecked and went and got a compressor and airbrush. I know, what was I thinking[:I]
The finish was a lot nicer, but for the paint to stick well I had to sand off all of the clearcoat on the tank and plastics. The metal was fine, I used airplane striper and it came off like a dream. The plastics, however, are another story. Had to do it all by hand (wet sand. Ugh!). It looked good though, but I found that the clear coat did not harden terribly well.

If you want a really good job, talk to a bike shop/mechanic in your area, they can probably tell you a dozen guys with the gear, experience etc who could do a great job for not that much money. Of course, if you are looking for a project, it is a great way to get to know the bike and the bragging rights are nice.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I didn't read anything else here cause I have no reason to but anyway - it is an additive to add to the clear, you can get alot of colors through house of color. don't use rattle cans. it will last forever if you do it right, painted one almost 3 years ago and it still glows great- just like the first day.

PAY ATTN HERE - you cannot do it over dark colors or it will not glow or be very faint. white works best or yellow or light silver, and also realize that you can only see it glow in almost complete darkness, you will never see it glo on the street, only in your garage with the lights off. but its still cool as hell looking at it in the garage.

send a pm for a price on a show quality job

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I rattle canned my race plastics in 45 minutes! Looked like shit, but was easy and didn't give a shit how good my race plastics looked.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all for your imput and i think i will take it to one of my friends friends to get him to do it, i saw his bike and it didn't look like crap, accually it look pretty good. i think i will end up messing it up if i were to do it.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
my bike is custom painted, didnt take to long but it did take alot of skill.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
easy? well, not really, it took 4 hrs to prep the parts, then 4 hrs to custom paint the parts. depends on how your planing on painting the bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was only planning to go with a light light purple and glow in the dark flames. would that be hard?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does anyone know approximately how much paint/clearcoat would be needed for each coat? And what's a good brand of paint?

(sorry to "thread-jack", just thought it better to add to this one rather than start a new one)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You dont need to clear coat each caot of paint. just do a heavy coat on top of the last coat. but it wont hurt to do a little clear between coats. and as far as a good brand of paint, HOUSE OF KOLOR is hte best i have seen.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dunno go to the web site and email them and ask. plus it depends on how thick you want it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.