Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important are: Back protector/Knee Gaurd/Chest Gaurd/Padded Shorts

I have decent jeans that has Knee Padding and ballistic nylon for abrasion but no padding in the pants. I bought a Furygan textile, shark helmet, have berik boots and expensive gloves.

Do I really need this armor stuff? I do mostly city riding and want to start doing highway soon. It just seems awkward to have them. Walking around in them and just doing breakfest runs etc. Might be annoying, not so?

Advice please.

· Registered
236 Posts
these are the knee pads i wear under regular jeans.

there a saying among riders AGATT All Gear All The Time. Youll hear far more stories of spills and the person didnt have much in the way of gear. so yeah even on the short run gear up cause its better to have and not need than to need and not have.

· Registered
297 Posts
even on the short run gear up cause its better to have and not need than to need and not have.
This. Nobody can ever stress this enough. You NEVER plan for a spill. I always like to use myself as an example. Do you think I planned my "surprise!" lowside? Thankfully I was wearing all my gear, cause I slid on my leg and tumbled rather harshly on my elbows/knees for such a slow speed. Woke up the next morning sore as hell, but I had all my skin intact. And I'm still riding today.

Do I really need this armor stuff? I do mostly city riding and want to start doing highway soon. It just seems awkward to have them. Walking around in them and just doing breakfest runs etc. Might be annoying, not so?
Yes yes yes! You especially need most, if not ALL your gear for the city riding. Ever been rear-ended? Ever have someone pull out in front of you? Highway has far less traffic hazards, but a much higher speed (and pain). As for wearing your gear around, even to breakfast... to be honest, I feel like a badass walking into a restaurant, decked in full gear (mesh or leather, it's the same to the cage folk) carrying my helmet. Everyone watches you, and you can even sense the longing/envying in their eyes. They want to be you. They want to be free.

Reactions: 4748

· Registered
1,008 Posts
It's always funny to me that people take street riding so lightly. In reality, it's a lot more dangerous on the street than the track, but people feel like if they're not "racing" then they dont need to wear proper gear.

All it takes is one close call or spill and you will look back on these posts and ask yourself "WTF was I thinking?"

· Registered
1,708 Posts
by popular demand it shall be linked
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134331

90 mph + speed wobble - gear = massive skin graphs^^^^

not trying to scare you or anything
just trying to show you what kind of worst case scenario you may encounter

whenever i go riding i have, minimum, riding jacket gloves and helmet
i have full boots but they can be cumbersome, i wear those on days i feel like being "risky"
im looking for 3/4 boots for commuting and are walking friendly
im still trying to find pants that would fit me w/o alteration

· Registered
297 Posts
Not gonna lie, that evisceration pic is too much siting open like that in public, and I'm a WFR. The scar/stitches is fine.

im looking for 3/4 boots for commuting and are walking friendly
Well crud, I was gonna link the Sedici Marino boots I just got at Cycle Gear, but they're not listed anymore. I know the BiLTs were recalled, but I haven't heard anything about these. Anyway, they're awesome. Grab some Kevlar laces though, as the original ones will shred on the first day.

Wow, even an image search didn't pull anything up. I'll grab a pic tomorrow.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richard, mind linking the thread? Thanks man

Good replies. My gear will save me from most of that.

yasglas, would those fit in boots?

Just seems awkward to wear these:

These with boots are fine right?

^Maybe that? Will it fit under my boot?

· Registered
236 Posts
the knee and shin guards looks like it will fit under jean but might come really close to the top of the boot depends on how tall you are. you might wanna find a back and chest protector in one I have the icon Stryker series get something similar to that.

· Registered
185 Posts
In my opinion, you should treat your spine like you treat your head - if you damage it even just a little bit, it can have a huge impact on your quality of life. So for me, I wear my helmet (legally required here, anyway) and back protector on every single ride, no matter how short the journey, along with gloves and leather jacket at a minimum. I do sometimes go out with only kevlar jeans, but this thread has nudged me to pick up some knee protectors for when I'm not in full leathers...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.