Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did it take you guys to assess yourself that you were ready to take on a passenger?

Do you have rules for your passenger or rules for yourself when you are riding with one?

MANGO

·
Registered
142 Posts
I won't ride anybody. Not my style, only once in a while will the lady get a ride. thats why I'm going out to get a bike for her. Jersey is way too congested.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Its rough down my way with the cagers on the road, reading the newspaper and yapping on the cell phones. I can only imagine how shitty it is up your neck of the woods Trucca.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My bike handles like crap w/o adjusting the rear spring when I rode w/ my 190 pound ex wife. A very good rule I learned from an old co-worker: the passenger should always keep there head on the your inside shoulder for a turn. i.e. right turn, right shoulder. Keeps the passenger leaning with you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah, i always tell the girl on the back of my bike to look over the shoulder of the direction that we're turning, to just sit in a neutral position, and let me do the leaning. if you find that your passenger tends to put a lot of weight on your back when riding, itll make steering harder. if theyre a regular passenger you can tell them when youre braking, to put the palm of one hand on the tank to brace their weight. other than that just remember that when you ride 2 up, think of it as riding a cruiser, nice smooth steering without excess lean and and you should be gentle on the throttle and brakes (especially if your passenger is a wimp!). the passenger should also know to keep their feet on the pegs at all times, until you tell them to dismount.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It was a couple months before I trusted myself to take on the g/f. Luckily she's ridden many bikes before, so she knew the rules. She supports herself with the tank while I brake. She holds herself with the handles when we are just cruising so I don't feel cramped.. And she leans with the turn. Some passengers will be afraid to do this at first, so it makes it much harder to turn. Whenever you feel you are ready, just make a quick trip around the block. Take you're time and don't think too hard into it. You may find yourself getting wobbly when coming to a stop.. As long as your passenger stays put, the bike won't be any harder to keep up (unless you lean it too far, of course). Remember, more weight means less acceleration and more stopping distance.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
It took me 2 months, about 2,000 miles of riding solo. The Mrs. hopped on and it wasn't too bad. Balance is weird with the extra weight on the back. I'd suggest practicing slowly with a passenger at slow speed to learn what to expect with the changes in the bikes handling. I know it looked ultra-ghey [:M26], but I did pick up my brother in Daytona a while back and we rode back to my house, ~25 miles away. It SUCKED. Not just the looks from the cagers, but steering was way difficult and slowing down seemed to take four times as long. I weigh 195 and he's about 200. My wife weighs half that and it was a lot easier to ride with her after the trip with my bro.:D

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i'm not much of a 2 up rider unless it's some huge deal. i won't let anybody that's been drinking get on my bike. it took me about a year of riding before i was comfortable allowing somebody else to get on w/ me. they won't be on the back without gear either! my bike, my rules!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think it really depends on the passenger. Some girls are great passengers. Others need to just fall off and get it over with.

I did not mean that :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
i agree with above^^
any drink in the pillion and they've got no chance!!
and gear is a must!!
my gf always says when we are doin a ride longer then 2 mins to the shop "why wear gloves and proper shoes we wont crash"
you have to remember whoeva is on the back is YOUR responsibility!!
they get hurt your fkd!
on the other hand i dont mind riding with the girl on back!! she rides really well and loves leaning into the corners and hitting straights!!

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey postalL mc my buddy has a zzr 600 and he cant find shit for the bike, yours seems to have teh shit he wants, could you post some site that carry the shit for it?
thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
after one season on my yamaha ysr 80, i stepped up to a 96 zx6r. almost right away i let my g/f ride on the back. shes really small like 4'10 and 105lbs so i found it did effect the handling somewhat but i managed. basic rules were that she held on to my jacket pockets (so she wouldnt fly off if i had a quick start of the light or whatever), i explained that she wasnt to lean eaither way. and with those rules i never really had an issue. it definately takes away from the experience and feeling of riding but for getting around to the gym and mall or w/e it gets the job done.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i was riding for a month on my first bike (90 en500) before i took my girl for a ride. once i got her to stop squeezing my waist with her legs everything was cool. i really dont like having a passenger now because they can never seem to get used to accelerating fast and they complain that they think they are going to fall off. it is actually way easier to double on my current bike than the old vulcan but i still prefer not to.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I posted the question to get your varying experiences on taking on a passenger and the post generated some good suggestions.
I wouldn't normally take on passengers either UNLESS it is absolutely necessary.

My wife's been asking what it's like to ride in one and I've been meaning to oblige since it was her after all who gave me the go ahead to pick up a motorcycle and start riding. Plus, I wanted her to experience too what the joys of riding are the same way I'm enjoying myself now when I ride.

I have the extra gear for her to wear already, helmet and all but I know my capabilities and limitations so I'm not going to push it unless I'm ready.

But, comparatively, I wanted to get everyone else's experience too.
Oh, and by the way, yeah, only female passengers for me. The guy on guy riding is a little "Brokeback" for me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
whichoneistheclutch, I sent you a pm.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
take the time to go over the rules bro ... and it is all good.

look over the shoulder into a turn ... hands on the hips when riding ... and use the rear bar with one hand and the other hand on the gas tank when braking.

I really enjoy riding with my gf .... she is small ... 5'1" 100lbs .... and loves to ride.... and that is very cool ....[8D]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.