Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found an engine to replace mine, but it has sat for 2 years or more without starting. Can I just prime it and start it up. Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
thats alot of down time. I would aleast change the oil and filter and bump the starter nut not actually start the motor, this is a great time to do a compression check. Drain the oil into a clean container a inspect it, you may want to change the filter as well but it your money. Some may say different, and some my say it is a waste of oilm but at least you will have some idea as to what is going on in there. Then drive it not hard but drive it as the rings may need to reseat. But that is my two cents.

·
Registered
748 Posts
yip, change the oil & filter, spray some wd-40 into the cylinders, then run it easy for a few hundred miles and change the oil again.
i wouldn't run the initial oil for the full 3k miles... i would change after ~250 - 500 miles. this is basically what i did with the '03 i picked up. even though the oil had less than 200 miles on it, it had been in the engine for at least 2 years and the engine had not been run for more than 8 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.