Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have a '09 650R that was bought brand new in 2011 (was new in crate). he put 1900 miles on it before I bought it oct 2012. I changed the oil soon after i bought it (some gorilla spun that filter on) i dont think it ever was changed. anywhoo... my question is, when do all the fluids get placed in their respective circuits ? Does it leave the factory in the crate with all fluids installed or when it gets assembled to sell it? I am wondering this because i have no idea how long that stuffs been in there... when do i change it?

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Leaves the factory with the oil, coolant, brake fluid all in place.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so then if the fluids been sitting idle for a few years before it gets used? The brake fluid still looks clear and the coolant visually looks good. when doth i changeth them?

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Clear brake fluid is likely okay... but a bottle of fluid is less than $10.

Coolant... I'd change anyways. It's cheap as well, make sure to burp it until you get all the air out.

Really, you're looking at less than $30 to replace brake fluid and coolant (if you can do it yourself), so you might as well.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
change it. get some good DOT4 and bleed the piss outta the brakes. NEVER skimp on brakes.

coolant too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The answer to your question (and any other maintenance question) can be found in the owners manual.

Some things deteriorate with age, thus the maintenance schedule specifies both a mileage and a time interval (like every 1, 2, or 3 years). You probably need to assume that no maintenance was done and do everything in the 1, 2, and 3 years cycles. This includes all the fluids (oil, brake, coolant). Most are easy to do yourself (get a copy of the service manual).

·
Registered
137 Posts
The best rule of thumb on any bike bought used (regardless of the story or mileage) - change oil, coolant and brake fluid.

That way you know exactly what is in there and when it was done.

Plus you can have a good look over the entire exterior of the bike while the fairings are off. Small price for solid piece of mind.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Leaves the factory with the oil, coolant, brake fluid all in place.
Wow, here in South Africa, bikes arrive without oil... Get filled by dealership.
Not sure about Coolant and brake fluid though.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Wow, here in South Africa, bikes arrive without oil... Get filled by dealership.
Not sure about Coolant and brake fluid though.
Might have something to do with importation laws. But every bike I've pdi'd in Canada has already had fluids filled. Though some require a little oil added or removed.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Might have something to do with importation laws. But every bike I've pdi'd in Canada has already had fluids filled. Though some require a little oil added or removed.
FWIW, Most of the new bikes here in the States in the dealership have a factory sticker on the windscreen or headlight that says "NO OIL"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts