Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 06 636 three months ago. Just curious to know what are the typical wear out times for items such as tires, the battery, chain, brakes, shocks, brake fluid, engine components, levers, generator, fuel pump, etc. I don't want to shocked like I was with the tire wear

·
Registered
748 Posts
the battery in my 01 7S is the original and still runnin fine. chain lasted 28k miles, but i was very anal about maintaining it. my 9R service manual says the chain can last from 9k - 28k miles. brakes can last ~20k miles depending on how heavy you use them. tires?!? well that depends on the tire you choose and how hard you ride. bridegstone BT020s on my 7S average 9k miles while the pirelli diablos averaged 3.5k miles and looks like the dunlop qualifiers were going to be ~5k miles. the diablos had excellent grip compared to the BT020s but all wifey saw was that i needed 2 sets of tires in less than a year.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i ride it every single day to every single place. i ride about as hard as one can on the streets: fast acceleration and some spirited riding whenever the roads lend themselves to it. I keep it well maintained. I was just surprised when the rear tire didn't last more ythan 5000 miles. I figured they would last at least half as long as car tires. I don't want the next surprise being "Didn't you know brakes only last 8k?"

·
Registered
201 Posts
Get some sport touring tires, they'd last forever. My batteries still good at 32k miles. I changed out my chains at 28k miles, It should be changed every 10k miles. OEM brake pads last forever, check for wear every 15k. Whenever youcan afford Ohlins Shocks, change em ASAP. Change brake fluids whenever it turns coffee colored or once every season. Engine components always need fresh oil. Change em every 3-4k miles. Generator, fuel pump? never heard of any problems with those. You race it, you stunt it, you red line it every time, then of course the wear and tear will come quicker.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
replaced on my 9r -
Tires (BT012's) every 5.5-6k miles (I have 014's on there now, so we'll see).
Chain - 20k. Did the sprockets as a precaution at the same time.
Battery - still the OEM unit, even though I ran it dead once.

Fluids all changed at recommended intervals. No major components replaced otherwise.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
michelin are releasing a "dual compound" of sorts that has similar grip to a pilot power. it's not a traditional DC but it has the characteristics of one.

But the tyre man says that if you want the grip of a power buy them.

So um i guess i didn't really answer any of your questions.

Sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.