Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to ride on the highway. It just intimidates me a lot I guess. I'm going to school about an hour away from home, and I'm tired of having to go home on the weekends to ride. I would really like to bring my bike up to school since I will no longer have a car soon, but thinking about the hour-long trip on I-45 scares me. People can drive very stupid around there. Now, I know that mileage has nothing to do with how good a rider you are, but about how many miles/ how long did it take for you guys to take it to the highway?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Took me 2 weeks, and it was raining buckets the entire time... Scared the shit out of me

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have yet to ride on the highway. It just intimidates me a lot I guess. I'm going to school about an hour away from home, and I'm tired of having to go home on the weekends to ride. I would really like to bring my bike up to school since I will no longer have a car soon, but thinking about the hour-long trip on I-45 scares me. People can drive very stupid around there. Now, I know that mileage has nothing to do with how good a rider you are, but about how many miles/ how long did it take for you guys to take it to the highway?
Take the access road til you get used to the speed...it took me a couple of weeks..then I got on the hwy for 1 exit then got off back on to the access road...I too was like you, scared of the hwy bc I know how dumb people drive since it's just "straight" .... people told me to just get on, but I don't recommend that...just get on the access road, pace the other cars and then if when you feel comfortable get on for however long you feel comfy...you'll get used to it...

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
One block.

Bought my bike and rode it out from 11th street to the Henry Hudson Highway down to my job on my lunch break. Then proceeded to ride it up the FDR home after.

:dunno:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Brought bike home in truck, gone for a week party, registration and insurance all done by that time, 2 major highways are 10 secs away from my house, took 16th with 1km on the bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I waited until I had about 400 miles on the bike to take it on the interstate. I took my MSF course after the fact. Only issues I ever had to deal with on the interstate were the nasty side winds that only North Dakota can hit you with, but it wasn't all that bad. I actually got blown around way worse doing 30 on the main roads in town. Stupid wind.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I hopped on the Freeway about 2 weeks, maybe 175 miles, after I got my 08 Ninja 250.
I was on it for 1 exit! and haven't gotten on since! when i got on the freeway i went into tuck position, which now i think wasn't a good idea, because i felt really ustable. Combine the tuck with the wind from the bay and the cars flying past and I was scared...there's a big difference between 45 and 65!
There are quite a few onramps here that double as long off ramps that I am giong to use to practice freeway speeds then hopefully give it a try again.
Luckily my commute times are before traffic so I can ride to work without many cars around.

I am actually pretty scared of the pavment and large bumps. I hit them in my car and think about how bad that would be on my bike. Can anyone speak to this?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i bought my bike in a town almost 200 miles away from where i live. my first ride was about 150 miles of highway driving through Tampa and Orlando. i was intimidated at first, not because of my lack of ability to control the bike or anything, but because there were just a bunch of sensations that i didn't get from the previous weekend when i took my MSF class.
for instance, i had no idea how much pressure i'd feel on my chest and throat when driving at highway speeds so that made me feel really odd, then driving next to hummers or simi trucks was also intimidating because of the loud noise they make and the air pressure difference around them. once you get used to those sensations its really a lot EASIER to drive on the highway than around town.
you don't have to worry about being the the right gear, you don't have to worry about cornering, you don't have to worry about someone running a stop light and smashing into you. just keep your eyes on the road ahead of you and enjoy the ride.

·
Banned
150 Posts
It was about 2 weeks before I even took my bike out of my neighborhood, which is kinda crazy because they say that most accidents happen at low speeds.

About a week later, I was licensed and took it out on the highway. It wasn't that I wanted to. A friend asked me to meet her at a bar and I only knew one way to get there which was the highway.

Anyway, it actually wasn't that bad. Most cars here are pretty use to mortorcycles and if they see you will allow you get over.

Overall, I would say that most cars here are motorcycle friendly, as in they give you a car's length even though you're this small bike.

Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am actually pretty scared of the pavment and large bumps. I hit them in my car and think about how bad that would be on my bike. Can anyone speak to this?
On my 08 250 a lot of bumps that rattle my car are actually pretty damn smooth. I've seen some pretty big cracks with missing asphalt come up in front of me quickly before and I just ride right over them. Hardly feel them most of the time. You just have to be more careful if you're taking a corner and encounter a bump or rut like that. Taking them head on though isn't as bad as it seems. Even some of the nasty rail road crossings I go over are easily ridden over. If you know it's bad, just get your butt of the seat a little and stand on the pegs slightly to make it less jarring to your body.

·
Registered
228 Posts
After 3 miles on OBT I jumped on the turnpike for 20miles. No biggy, I never sit in traffic or groups of cars, just move through it always be noticed and enjoy. I went straight to the tag agency in my city and got the bike registered. Have yet to take the MSF(sep.22) but I ride the bike to work and school.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought my 6R from my cousin in cleveland, I live in cincinnati. I had never ridin a bike before only quads. I rode it around his neighborhood once, to get a feel for it. Then rode the 4 1/2 hours on the freeway by myself back to cincy.

looking back (3 months ago) probably not the brightest idea I ever had...but I had no problems besides my ass getting sore. So I guess alls well that ends well.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, maybe my fears are a little irrational. It sounds like most people rode the highway having very few miles under their belt. I've ridden long enough to where I'm pretty confident in myself, my concern is just other drivers. I guess what I will do is slowly ease into it, maybe take a mile or so then exit. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
rode it out of the air force base where i bought it then onto the highway towards home which was about 30 minutes away. half way home i hit the rain.... but i made it home safe

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i took my bike on the e-way the first day i had it. just do it. the highway is a lot easier than riding the streets simply because a lot of the x factor has been taken away. as long as you don't follow anyone too close and you keep up with the flow of traffic. there are no stop lights, no intersections, and everyone is moving the same direction. i normally go a little faster than the flow of traffic just so i don't get stuck putting along in some cager's blind spot but other than that its you shouldn't be worried.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts