Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says...... How many miles do you get out of your stock tires? This thread is for people who replace your worn tires with new tires by the manufactures recommended in the owner's manual....

·
Registered
467 Posts
i replaced my stock tires by my recommendations, and that was immediately. stock tires suck.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i replaced my stock tires by my recommendations, and that was immediately. stock tires suck.
You own a different bike... perhaps that one comes with worse tires? From what I've read the stock 09+ 650R tires are actually pretty good. The 06-08 tires I've heard kinda suck though. ridegrn, which year do you have? They changed the tires for 09+ so that might make a difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Currently have 6,100 miles on my stock tires ('09 ER-6N) and thinking I can squeeze out at least 1K more before I change them prior to a scheduled track day.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yeah the '09+ models come with BT021's and I love them. I have a little over 7,000 miles on them and they don't need to be replaced yet. I am as shocked by this as anyone. They are made for tourning so they aren't top-notch for grip but they are pretty damn good on grip given their durability.

I would love to have a set of really, really sticky tires but I don't want to change them with every friggin oil change haha.

When I do need to change tires, I will be replacing them with a new set of the BT021's.

-Pat

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can vouch for '08 stockers (BT020R) being quite slippery. I scrubbed them in good and felt like I was gonna lowside a couple times on clean pavement at the sportbike course I went to. I haven't even scraped a peg feeler yet. It felt like the bottom end was wandering out farther and farther and kinda freaked me out. They've got about 1k mikes on em and look identical to when they were new. I'm guessing they're a pretty hard compound made for easy riding, not hittin' the twisties. I wouldn't think 10,000 miles with a gentle right hand would be impossible.

~Eric

·
Registered
122 Posts
i got 10,000 on my stock 08 rear. orlando riding but hitting just about every on ramp, off ramp, and lonely curve as hard as possibly

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I got 11K from the stockers on my 09, with the wear right to the edge. Never any worries about them losing grip. The Michelin's I'm running now seem set to do the same, but with the dual compound are resisting squaring off better.

Over the last 3 or 4 years tyres seem to have made a real leap in longivity. I used to get about 5K from a rear and about 10K from a front. I'm still only getting about the same from the front but the rears have caught up.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts