Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I was just wondering to all you 636 riders, how many of you actually work on your own bikes?... like all the mods you guys do, how many of you do them yourselves? and how many of you take your ride to a shop for someone else to work on it?...

With my bike, i've done every single mod, upgrade, and tune up myself... on my bike i've got,

-Puig Windscreen
-Vortex Bar ends, Swingarm spools, and No-Cutt sliders
-Garage into lap timer mod
-Pazzo Gold Shortie levers
-K&N air filter
-Fender Eliminator
-Akrapovic slip on
-Dynojet Power Commander
-Seat Cowl Adjustment
-GPR Steering Damper
-Gorilla Alarm with 2-way pager
-1/5th throttle insert
-Magma Rim Tape
-(Had) Galfer Stainless Steel Lines
-Wire Jumper Mod

And all of that was done myself, Not a single mechanic has touched my bike since i got it, I've got about 10,800 miles on my 05 636, and have done all the tune ups and fluid changes myself... But don't get me wrong, there are GREAT advantages whan taking it to a dealership, i.e. if something goes wrong, it's totally their fault...

But, I feel that working on your bike and modding it out the way you want to makes it yours... i've taken that bike apart at least 5 times... and i can do it with my eyes closed, It's just i always hear people who have their bikes in the shop, and i totally understand if you don't have the time or tools, or that you just don't wanna F*** something up... but to me it's just nice to work on my bike myself...

What do you guys think??

Kow wee

·
Registered
937 Posts
The shop will never touch my bike unless its for some major engine work or scheduled checkup. All mods, maintance, etc is done by me. As you said, working on your toy is what makes your bike your own. It's half the fun! [:p]

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,686 Posts
I've put over 12,000 miles and mine hasn't seen the shop yet. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I can do the fluids, filters, tires, chain maintenance, spark plugs, brakes etc. When I come across something I've never done before, I'll ask a buddy that's done it to fill me in on any tips to make the job easier or he'll just come help me so I can learn. For instance, I'm going to upgrade to steel braided brake lines but I've never done it before so my buddy said he'd help me out. I know it's not too difficult but I appreciate someone showing and/or helping me.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It is to fun to work on your own bike and the sense of accomplishment when you're done working/moding it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
At the price that Stealers charge i couldn't imagine taking it in there. Unless something catastrophic happens, my bike will never see a shop. I'll do all my own work. That's half the fun anyway!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
i do all my own work also. i dont trust a shop to fix my bike. i know if i work on it, it will be done right. plus you dont have to wait weeks for the shop to even look at it.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Yeah i here you on this one...To be honest there isnt much any dealership is going to offer me for service..
I can my own valve adjustments and anything else that comes along..
Had enough experience after building a 2mm over bore ZX-7R & ZX-9R, with flatsides,cams and everything else under the sun..
The only thing i cant do s dyno tune my bike..YET
since we are talking mods...how about this for my 2 girls and things done.
Figure i would skip my mods not wanting to take up the whole thread..

But will be doing a cleaned up and 5 angle valve job head with a little more compression and degreed cams this winter, when there is no more riding to do...should pick up a few horsepower..
Also debating aftermarket wheels, once i get the weights on the stockers...either this bike or my RC is getting them..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Kawasaki South-Africa does not allow me to do my own services [}:)]
I will void my 2 yeear warrenty if I do touch it service wise.

I try and do everything else on the bike myself that does not fall in the "service" category

·
Registered
550 Posts
I do all of my own work, but not for any sense of accomplishment - I have project vehicles for that. I just do it because I know I'll take more time and care to do it right than the kid at the dealer, and I just can't stomach paying 3-digit prices for something that I can do in an evening myself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i do all my own work on my bike as well. it has not seen the dealership since i bought it. i just did a throttle body sync yesterday and i am happy with the results - it is a little smoother with less vibration and it is especially better from 6K-8K where it was a little rough and vibrates before. the other work/mods that i have done to this bike are:
routine maintenance (oil, oil filter, air filter, chain, air press)
sync throttle bodies
kleen air mod
akra slip on
muzzy fender eliminator (retaining black plastic/rear signals)
kawi euro signals (front & rear)
kawi race kit ecu
bmc street filter
ermax hugger
kawi seat cowl

i had my bike dyno tuned with the race kit ECU at Factory Pro and i had the suspension set up at evolution suspension.

sc1

·
Banned
495 Posts
its pointless to get any regular maintenance done at a shop. You dont have to put a bike up on a lift like a car. Oil change is probobly the easiest thing ever. Ive done everything myself. Even the idle is easy to adjust. Prob hardest for me was the Two Bros exhaust i put on

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I do all my oil changes and installed all my mods myself. Anything motor wise, I'll let our local shop handle it. Anything else I do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've done my own mods except when the insurance company was paying to fix my bike after my deer "incident" :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by 636cc of fury
i do my own work as well. nearly everything has been covered on this forum, so SEARCH and you will find.
+1

i've spent a lot of time searching on this forum and have found a lot of what I need here. Plus the shop manual comes in handy. But yeah, I do my own work. That's half the fun.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I do everything, I don't trust the shops in my area....I'm dreading when i need to get the valves checked...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Originally posted by wfenton
The shop will never touch my bike unless its for some major engine work or scheduled checkup. All mods, maintance, etc is done by me. As you said, working on your toy is what makes your bike your own. It's half the fun! [:p]
[:+1]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.