Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Quebec, those F'ers are raising the price to 330$ just to plate a 250. It's a 40$ hike, about 15%. The car increase was 3$ to make it 260$.

But thank god it's a 250cc because the 400cc+ "High Risk" bracket went from 667$/year to 1030$/year. We get 8 months max here. Almost makes me feel like doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIru-NQmRs&feature=related

If i had a Yamaha 250X i would be tempted to throw studded tires on and drive it year round.

So how much is it for you?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I paid $21 for tag and title.
You don't kow how much i want to stangle you right now.

:p I joke, but seriously, they're a bunch of crooks. Only good thing is that if you crash they give you money to buy new gear. I with that said i might "crash" ever 2 maybe 3 years and get my money back.

·
Registered
194 Posts
HAHAHA.. that's funny! How much are they charging for car registration? Seems out of line what they are charging you, but then again, it's probably for the health benefits right?

Oh, and do "track day" crashed count?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yea in Quebec you guys's plate includes some part of health insurance, the insurance you buy is to protect vehicular damage only (correct me if I'm wrong). You have what it's called a public insurance system.

Here we pay something like 60-70$ per 18 months for bikes / scooters and the insurance is higher because is covers everything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here in Quebec, those F'ers are raising the price to 330$ just to plate a 250. It's a 40$ hike, about 15%. The car increase was 3$ to make it 260$.

But thank god it's a 250cc because the 400cc+ "High Risk" bracket went from 667$/year to 1030$/year. We get 8 months max here. Almost makes me feel like doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIru-NQmRs&feature=related

If i had a Yamaha 250X i would be tempted to throw studded tires on and drive it year round.

So how much is it for you?
Wait, are you including insurance in that? In Ontario I believe it was $40/year for the plate and registration, and my insurance is about $575/year. The cost of the plate and registration is the same regardless of the bike, but insurance goes up as the cc's do (at least with my insurer)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah here it's stupid but good at the same time.

Example if your in an accident in a car and you need physio and your glasses got smashed then the government will pay for your physio sessions and to get new glasses.

So while we're stuck paying more we have our asses covered in case of crashes. It not like you'll be F**ked over by the insurance company and be left high and dry.

The problem is that they're gouging bikers instead of raising the cost for cars a bit more( only 3$ , 1%). We only ride part of the year and yet a 250cc costs more to "plate" than a car.

How much are they charging for car registration? Seems out of line what they are charging you, but then again, it's probably for the health benefits right?

Oh, and do "track day" crashed count?
A car cost about 260$ /year and no track days don't count because the accident has to happen on a public road.

Yea in Quebec you guys's plate includes some part of health insurance, the insurance you buy is to protect vehicular damage only (correct me if I'm wrong). You have what it's called a public insurance system.
No, the public insurance is for bodily harm. We still need to get minimum 50k $ insurance for property damage by law. Theft, Vadalism, ... is all extra and optional.

For 126-400cc: http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicle_registration/comparative/400cc.php

For 400+ "High Risk": http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicle_registration/comparative/high_risk.php

Compensation: http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/accident_victim/insurance_policy/compensation_table.php

^^^^Go down to clothing and notice you get 1000$ for helmet and leathers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The problem is that they're gouging bikers instead of raising the cost for cars a bit more( only 3$ , 1%). We only ride part of the year and yet a 250cc costs more to "plate" than a car.
I wonder which one would incur more medical expense, a biker or a driver getting rear ended by a car at 20 mph... ;)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder which one would incur more medical expense, a biker or a driver getting rear ended by a car at 20 mph... :rolleyes:
That is very true, but seriously it's almost like they don't want motorcycles anymore so instead of banning them, they're making it super expensive.

But there's some backround information i haven't mentioned yet. I think before 1975 if you got your car licence they automatically gave you your "6A" <--- The class to allow you to ride any motorcycle. To add to that, it wasn't an individual basis. If one person passed the driving test, the whole class did.

So many older folks here, no offense, shouldn't be driving right now let alone riding motorcycles. Now the baby boomers, who just have their 6A like that, are starting to retire and are getting motorcycles. Just because they have the entitlement they think they can ride and teach themselves.

So I had to go through 22 hours of lessons and 2 tests to prove my worth but people out there just have it. So the bulk of accident happen to the older age group. They're small accidents but they don't bounce back like the young ones. Then the media focuses on the 1 retard doing 130 in to a post, killing himself.:mad:

I think i might move real soon.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That is very true, but seriously it's almost like they don't want motorcycles anymore so instead of banning them, they're making it super expensive.

But there's some backround information i haven't mentioned yet. I think before 1975 if you got your car licence they automatically gave you your "6A" <--- The class to allow you to ride any motorcycle. To add to that, it wasn't an individual basis. If one person passed the driving test, the whole class did.

So many older folks here, no offense, shouldn't be driving right now let alone riding motorcycles. Now the baby boomers, who just have their 6A like that, are starting to retire and are getting motorcycles. Just because they have the entitlement they think they can ride and teach themselves.

So I had to go through 22 hours of lessons and 2 tests to prove my worth but people out there just have it. So the bulk of accident happen to the older age group. They're small accidents but they don't bounce back like the young ones. Then the media focuses on the 1 retard doing 130 in to a post, killing himself.:mad:

I think i might move real soon.
Man that really blows. One reason I got a bike here (New-Brunswick) is that it was relatively cheap to get into it (and fun). I got quoted around 500$ / annualy for bare minimum insurance..and as I said the plates are like 60-70...not more than 100$ for sure. I'd be pissed to be in Qc!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I called like 3 or 4 different insurance companys around here and they all said the same thing to me, but they also said i couldn't get insured if i didn't have a full "G" class license and been driving for 5 years. Then they said if that wasnt an issue they have to insure me at full coverage with everything on it for a full 12 months it was 2550 a year.

In ontario you have to have your full licenece for 5 years to get inshurance for a motorcycle. how stupid eh..

people from america seem like there inshurance is dirt cheep and its painfull to read how cheap it is compared what i have to pay...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called like 3 or 4 different insurance companys around here and they all said the same thing to me, but they also said i couldn't get insured if i didn't have a full "G" class license and been driving for 5 years. Then they said if that wasnt an issue they have to insure me at full coverage with everything on it for a full 12 months it was 2550 a year.

In ontario you have to have your full licenece for 5 years to get inshurance for a motorcycle. how stupid eh..

people from america seem like there inshurance is dirt cheep and its painfull to read how cheap it is compared what i have to pay...
That blows. And i thought i got the short end of the stick. Per year it would cost me about 1050$ fully covered.

To plate the bike cost 330$ and the insurance company quoted me 715$ for full coverage on a 2009 Black 250R in a big city being a 20 year old male.

It's not that bad, but still that extra 300$ is a killer. In reality i was looking to get 1 way and theft for 215$. If i didn't have that looming 300$ to pay then I'd be riding for dirt cheap like our neighbours to the south.

I'm just amazed that i got a quote so low. I mean i'm 20 and male, in their books i should be a wild and crazy kid ready to destroy as much property as possible:p

·
Registered
237 Posts
I paid around $300 because I purchased my bike cash from an out of state dealer so they waived my taxes. Once I registered in my state they added the taxes I did not pay.
Next year when my Bday comes around it should be signifigantly cheaper for my renewal tag. Im guessing $50-$75 at most.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts