Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how much of a HP gain you'll see from a bolt-on exhaust like the hindle, yosh or D&D? I think I read somewhere that a 2000 ZX-6R gets about 96 WHP and about 44 ft-lbs torque. Is there a noticeable (on the street) power gain from an aftermarket pipe?

-------------------------
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
"Pilots make smoother approaches"

·
Registered
768 Posts
2 or 3 after jetting.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:
2 or 3 after jetting.

Do you need to jet with just slip-on exhaust? And what is involved in jetting?

2002 Toyota Celica GT

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
If you are only doing a bolt on, and nothing else (ie: not changing the air filter) then the stock jetting should be OK for most exhaust manufacturers.

Getting it rejetted involves a mechanic chaning the fuel mixture coming from the carbs. When you change the whole exhaust system, the engine won't run right unless you get the jetting changed to match.

-=Welcome To Canada=-
2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
112 Posts
Alittle word to the wise.....Air filter, exhaust and jet kit did nothing on my 6r. Well I can't say nothing because it did clean up a flat spot in the higher RPM's. But as far as feeling a difference on the street..NO. It does sound a whole lot better. On my old F2 all those mods made a huge difference. And you can't say I did it wrong either because I changed the plugs after 8500 miles and they where the cleanest burning plugs I've ever seen. I don't think I good get my bike to run any better. Unless you are looking for a better exhaust note...save your money!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:
What kind of system did you get???
Nothing yet.

2002 Toyota Celica GT

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you're looking for a real gain you need a full system and jetting. Motorcycles are a little different than cars. Since the engine is so small if you change the way air gets in or out you have to change your jetting usually.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I disagree that you HAVE to go full system to get gains. In FACT, manufacturers put more effort into developing headpipes than they do endcans, since they KNOW many ppl change them anyway and you can only do SO MUCH and still pass strict emissions standards.

Hindle rep explained that they aim for peak gains of 3-5 hp from an endcan and 7-10 from a full system on today's bikes. And he also stated that they WILL NOT release any exhaust parts unless they test them to improve on the bike's power delivery THROUGHOUT the power band.

Do you HAVE to rejet? Some manufacturers say not, but because you will no doubt be increasing the airflow from the engine, it only makes sense to adjust things on the input end of things to maximize and optimize the gains that can be had. I have HEARD that fuel injected bikes are better able to compensate for this by adjusting the mixture, but I have also heard that this is just a MYTH, and fuel remapping has to be done again to optimize gains.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
768 Posts
See, told ya you need a full system to get real HP. Hmmm, 5 from just a pipe, or 10 for the full system? =)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I forgot to add that I used a vance&hines exhaust, k&n filter, dynojet stage-one with the bigger jets. A friend of mine used a muzzy exhaust, k&n filter, dynojet stage-one with the smaller jets. Nither of us can tell a differance. Like I said before, on the F2 there was a huge noticable differance, just not on the 6r.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I noticed very little difference overall from My full Muzzy system and Jet Kit. It was up about 4hp. ~99hp. overall but made as much as 10hp. over a certain flat spot in the range. Improvements in looks, sound and it does seem to pull harder and get through the gears faster. Had a professional tune it as well. Overall I'm pleased but still can't justified having spent $800?
Pipes are like anything else, you may and may not get suggested performance gains. I jumped on the band wagon at one point to and well disappointed I didn't get 105 as someone suggested. The way to go is the FI bike and Power Commander. I am curious as to what the new 03 will make with modfied maps.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I will try to dyno my new 636 once I get it broken in, and then I'm installing a slip on exhaust system and I'll dyno it again. Down the road, I may add a power commander too and have further results for everybody.

As for my '98... the gains from adding a jet kit and an end can were DRAMATIC. Even just putting the stock pipe back on killed my impression of the power of the bike. It felt SOOOOOO restricted. I bet there was a 6hp loss just with putting the stock can back on, especially in the upper portion of the powerband. It felt like it didn't want to rev out.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.