Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
go by the oil window. ive heard that usually happens to some type of bikes and it goes away after you ride it and re-star a couple of times. i changed my oil and filter on my 01 and it took 5 1/4 quarts!

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Not to pick on you, but I will never understabd why people change their oil but not the filter too. I know plenty of people do, but why not do both? The filter is not expensive. It's like washing your hands with dirt.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So should I drain a bit of oil so it is under the upper line on the window or what? Or is ti OK to ride around witha completely FULL oil window??

Grunt: Yeah I know I am lazy for not changing the filter as well as the oil, but my bike sees more oil changes than most. I change my oil every 2000kms (1240 miles) and my filter every 4000kms (2485 miles) so I'm not too worried about using the filter twice.

TIMMY!!!!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have just done an oil change on my 2002 636. I drained it for 1 hour but didn't change the oil filter. After i had put 3.3 litres in( window was full) I started her up and let her run for about 1 minute. However, the oil light was not going off. So I stopped the bike and put some more oil in, now 3.5 litres in total. The oil light now goes off when I start the bike. But, on the side stand the oil window is about half full and when the bike is level the oil level goes over the upper line(engine off). According to the scale on the MOTUL bottle i have put 3.5 litres in, when the manual says 3.4 without a filter change. Have I put too much oil in. Will it do any damage, e.g. build up pressure and blow the engine or something or is it OK to be a little bit over?? Don't wanna break my baby![xx(]:(

TIMMY!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You should probably drain some oil out at least to get it to the upper mark on the window when the bike is vertical. On mine at least the called for amount of oil only bring it up to the lower mark on the window. The oil level in the window is very sensitive to tilt. Just a little variation in the tilt of the bike makes a big difference in the oil level in the window. I have a little level I put across the back edge of the gas cap to get a consistant reading.

With too much oil you can blow oil into the airbox, make less horsepower because of excess windage and damage the engine because the oil get aireated.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Overfilling can cause seals to blow or dumo oil through the breather (usually onto the back wheel)[:0]. Get hold of a syringe and drain it.

Ash

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The oil light often goes on for a bit after changing the oil. To avoid seizure, do not race the engine until the light goes off.

Wait several minutes after running the engine for the oil to settle before checking the level. Then, hold the bike perpendicular to the ground.

If the oil level is above the upper level in the gauge, damage can result. Drain the oil until the oil level is between the upper and lower levels in the gauge.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have drained the oil so it lies between the lower and upper line on the oil window when the bike is perpendicular the the ground, but the oil in the oil window has bubbles in it, like on the surface of the oil. I'm thinking when I ran the bike too full some oil got inot the airbox or something[?] Is this ok or do I need to drain the lot and start again??

TIMMY!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't worry about the air bubbles, just let the bike sit for a while, and all will be well.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
202 Posts
THE OIL PUMP IS NOT PRIMED,you change the oil AND filter and refill to the correct hight.when you start it up and the [8D]oil light DOESN'T go out,all you have to do is to unscrew the filter till it starts to run out and then tighten it up and the oil pump should prime its self and your light should go out and your bike is safe to ride.it wont prime ANYOTHER way!! kawasaki had a bullition on this some time ago. it only happens to the ninja models.ive had ninja's since and NEVER had this happen to me it'll last week and i talked to a friend of mine that is a kaw tech and thats what he told me. B.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.