Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in a predicament... I did my first oil change on my bike (09 250r) and didn't bother to research how much to use... Just asked the guy at AutoZone. Well he told me four quarts... As I now look into it I see that is way too much! So I'm wondering how do I judge how much oil to drain? Is there a dipstick somewhere on this or any other recommendations? Thanks

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,796 Posts
:confused: Have you read how to do an oil change on a '08+ 250 by chance? I'm just trying to make sure you haven't overlooked anything like changing the filter (and replacing the 2 o-rings that go with it). Normally ~2 quarts is what the '08+ 250's take and there is a sight glass on the side of the case cover which has a mark in the middle. It is best to overfill a little, run the bike, and then top it off until the oil is centered in the sight glass when the bike is straight up and down. I'm surprised you were able to get 4 quarts in there really. That thing's probably about ready to spew over.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,505 Posts
So I'm in a predicament... I did my first oil change on my bike (09 250r) and didn't bother to research how much to use... Just asked the guy at AutoZone. Well he told me four quarts... As I now look into it I see that is way too much! So I'm wondering how do I judge how much oil to drain? Is there a dipstick somewhere on this or any other recommendations? Thanks

:banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Doesn't it say how much oil to use right on the bike where you add it? It does on my 6R but I'm not familiar with the 250s.

·
Powerhungry
37,700 Posts
drain it all and start over.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,505 Posts
I knew walmart sold a few filters but I did not know that autozone had a selection of motorcycle filters.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I don't think they have "motorcycle" filters but there are many car filters that work on bikes.....except Suzuki as they have some goofy threads on their filters.

·
Official n00b
17,443 Posts
I don't think they have "motorcycle" filters but there are many car filters that work on bikes.....except Suzuki as they have some goofy threads on their filters.
My AdvancedAuto has motorcycle specific filters and oil.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts