Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Im trying to wheelie my old zx-6r '98 with 91hp on the rearwheel. I have been watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk i hope it is okay to post this.

Is there any minimum power or is it "just" skill? :confused:

Any comment on this video is also welcome, are they pro's, like it seems to me or what?

The reason im posting here is cause im get a 636 05 or 06 soon. I think i will be able to do wheelie with the power of the 05-06 ninja, dont you? :)

Stew

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hey guys

Im trying to wheelie my old zx-6r '98 with 91hp on the rearwheel. I have been watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk i hope it is okay to post this.

Is there any minimum power or is it "just" skill? :confused:

Any comment on this video is also welcome, are they pro's, like it seems to me or what?

The reason im posting here is cause im get a 636 05 or 06 soon. I think i will be able to do wheelie with the power of the 05-06 ninja, dont you? :)

Stew
I wouldn't recommend "clutch ups" your first go around(no pun intended).
You have enough power, just need the right skills. The video seems ok. But might want to do a search on here for "wheelie how to"

Before attempting any kind of wheelie the first time:
1. Wear your gear!
2. Do it in a safe place; an empty parking lot.
3. Start out slow until you get the hang of it.

I've wrecked at 80mph 2 gear, power wheelie, not fun.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I wouldn't recommend "clutch ups" your first go around(no pun intended).
You have enough power, just need the right skills. The video seems ok. But might want to do a search on here for "wheelie how to"

Before attempting any kind of wheelie the first time:
1. Wear your gear!
2. Do it in a safe place; an empty parking lot.
3. Start out slow until you get the hang of it.

I've wrecked at 80mph 2 gear, power wheelie, not fun.
dont listen to this squid!!!!!!!
power wheelies are a no no... a good way to end up like at a 80 slidding down the road.
go to a parking lot/industrial park and learn to clutch up wheelies... dont dump the clutch be smooth. start in first and COVE THE REAR BRAKE AND CLUTCH the rear brake is your best friend!

if you want to stunt ride you need to look into getting an idle adjuster.. 900rr and f4 ones work good. turn the idle up to 2k or 3k and let the bike ride itself just modulate brake.... 98 zx6 used to be the stunt bike of choice in the early days.... 98 900's and 98 zx6

·
Registered
579 Posts
dont listen to this squid!!!!!!!
power wheelies are a no no... a good way to end up like at a 80 slidding down the road.
go to a parking lot/industrial park and learn to clutch up wheelies... dont dump the clutch be smooth. start in first and COVE THE REAR BRAKE AND CLUTCH the rear brake is your best friend!

if you want to stunt ride you need to look into getting an idle adjuster.. 900rr and f4 ones work good. turn the idle up to 2k or 3k and let the bike ride itself just modulate brake.... 98 zx6 used to be the stunt bike of choice in the early days.... 98 900's and 98 zx6
05-06 636's have an idle adjuster as well...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
any bike with a clutch will do a wheelie, regardless of the power. you just need to learn the correct method that works best for you and your bike. just go out and try it. pull the clutch in, rev it up, and let it out, quickly but smoothly. start with just a little gas to see how it reacts then keep revving it higher and higher until you are clutching it straight to bp. then after a few thousand tries you might be cruisin down the road in a wheelie. cover the brake, wear some gear and have fun!

·
39,743 Posts
Yep...I've seen Hardleys do wheelies and they don't have anywhere close to the same HP as our bikes do...and their heavier. Hell...my bicycle will do wheelies and it only has like...1 HP.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yep...I've seen Hardleys do wheelies and they don't have anywhere close to the same HP as our bikes do...and their heavier. Hell...my bicycle will do wheelies and it only has like...1 HP.
ur no horse buddy.

to the op...i was out last weekend with some guys that were practicing stunts and stuff at this empty warehouse and my cousin was with me on his 98 gixxer 600 and he didn't think it would wheelie. well he let one of the stunt guys try it out and he popped it up and rode a nice long bp wheelie across the lot. its not the power its the technique.

not that i know how since i'm still trying to get it figured out but to answer your question, its def about skills.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
youtube the paki stunters on mopeds...it's not about power

·
Registered
297 Posts
^^^ QFT. I thought I wasn't able to 2nd gear clutch up, but after messing around with 1st gear clutch ups, and getting scared out of my mind, I decided to just rev to the moon and dump it in second. If you sit too far forward you'll just light up the rear. Just be careful. I thought I was in 2nd when I was actually in 1st. Dumped the clutch and about looped it.

COVER YOUR BRAKE!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I used to wheelie for blocks on a '94 KX-125cc 2 stroke when I was a kid addicted to dirt.

Had maybe 15hp.

Its all about practice and being comfortable on your bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess every one wheelies different. To me, once u learn to clutch u never go back to power wheelies. Power wheelies to me feel unsafe (unpredictable). I like the front wheel to come up as fast as possible. But hey what do i know. my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts