Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 2004 Ninja 250, with around 8,900 miles on it. After driving it for just shy of 1,000 miles, I have determined that it probably needs the valves adjusted. It doesn't ever quite want to idle correctly, if you have been riding for any less than about 15-20 minutes it will want to stall, and after that it will hunt for an idle between about 750 and 1800 RPM. I've played with the choke all I'm willing too- and it seems like it needs an excessive amount of choke to start and stay running for those first 15-20 minutes.

Generally I perform all maintenance/repairs myself on cars/motorcycles. I've already changed a sprocket (15T front) and the oil on this bike. I simply don't have the time or inclination to dive into a valve adjustment.

This brings me to my final question- how much can I expect to pay at the local Kawi dealer to have my valves adjusted? I have no frame of reference for how much this might cost, and would like to budget ahead of time for it.

Any ideas? How much has your dealer charged you? Can it vary widely? Have I even targeted my problem correctly?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I recently acquired a 2004 Ninja 250, with around 8,900 miles on it. After driving it for just shy of 1,000 miles, I have determined that it probably needs the valves adjusted. It doesn't ever quite want to idle correctly, if you have been riding for any less than about 15-20 minutes it will want to stall, and after that it will hunt for an idle between about 750 and 1800 RPM. I've played with the choke all I'm willing too- and it seems like it needs an excessive amount of choke to start and stay running for those first 15-20 minutes.

Generally I perform all maintenance/repairs myself on cars/motorcycles. I've already changed a sprocket (15T front) and the oil on this bike. I simply don't have the time or inclination to dive into a valve adjustment.

This brings me to my final question- how much can I expect to pay at the local Kawi dealer to have my valves adjusted? I have no frame of reference for how much this might cost, and would like to budget ahead of time for it.

Any ideas? How much has your dealer charged you? Can it vary widely? Have I even targeted my problem correctly?
Why not call the dealer and ask them? While you're at it, call some independent shops and get quotes from them. I'd also recommend you have the carbs synced when the valves are adjusted.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The dealer where i bought my bike wants $270. I forgot to ask if that includes a BJ though. My local performance bike shop or whatever said $120 if they don't have to make any adjustments and $150 if they do. Definatley call around. As you can see prics can vary.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The dealer where i bought my bike wants $270. I forgot to ask if that includes a BJ though. My local performance bike shop or whatever said $120 if they don't have to make any adjustments and $150 if they do. Definatley call around. As you can see prics can vary.
yes... and keep in mind you have a new gen and he has a pre gen. the new gens (to me) should cost way more than a pre gen due to the differences in the valve train design.

OP... yes, call around and go with a reputable shop.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
While the valves probably do need to be adjusted, valve clearances won't cause idle issues like that (Unless it's REALLY off). With a 5 year old motorcycle with that few of miles on it my moneys on the carbs needing a rebuild and to be tuned.

Just MY two pennies.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
While the valves probably do need to be adjusted, valve clearances won't cause idle issues like that (Unless it's REALLY off). With a 5 year old motorcycle with that few of miles on it my moneys on the carbs needing a rebuild and to be tuned.

Just MY two pennies.
you may just be correct, sir, but at 8900 miles, he needs an adjustment anyway. my money is that the bike wasn't adjusted at the 5K (?) service?

OP was it adjusted?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bet is that no service has been done to this bike short of oil changes, tire changes, a clutch cable (which I did myself), brakes, and chain/sprocket replacements. I would not bet on them being adjusted at 5K.

Thanks for the prices- we have a reputable shop very close by, but they also tend to be quite expensive. Not many people comparison shop in this area, so they have a semi-monopoly.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Thanks for the prices- we have a reputable shop very close by, but they also tend to be quite expensive. Not many people comparison shop in this area, so they have a semi-monopoly.
yep, which is why the suggestion to call around. what is normal in one area often times is not in another. You just need to see what's available in your area and take it from there.

Are you handy with tools? The pregens are not that bad to adjust if you have some skills. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am very handy with tools- this summer I replaced the engine in a 93' Infiniti G20 for kicks. However, I am also a third-year law student, and time is the real issue. I'd say if the price eclipsed $250, it would be worth trying myself- less than that and I'll take it to the Kawi dealer.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Fully understand the money vs time thing.

Good luck finding a reputable shop that will do the job under your price point. I think you shouldn't have much problem. Just be sure they've adjusted valves on your type of bike before so they know what they are doing... you don't want them "learning" on your bike.

you have a pm
:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts