Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is begging me to buy a bigger bike so she can get the little ninja. I need to know how much I need to lower the bike for a 29.5" instep.

Help please

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
There's too many factors there to measure that way. I'd say have her sit ON the bike and then stand it upright (She can keep the kickstand down so if she feels unstable the bike won't fall over). Then with her standing on her tippy-toes measure the distance between her heel and the ground. THEN you can try out lowering links in the back of the bike. (just my suggestion)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. I do know with the bike upright she is standing tiptoe like a bellarina. So maybe two inches. But im wondering how much I could get with a seat shave.

·
Registered
26 Posts
can someone tell me if ya can get 2" lowering blocks for the front or do you just use two 1". also do the cables need to be changed. i have a friend here that wants to raise the bars as he is an old fart with a bad back any one done this whats it like?

Allan

·
Registered
77 Posts
An alternative to mod'ing the bike is raised boots.. daytona lady mstars will give a good 3/4" raise .
Would have thought tho with a 29" leg, she would need very little lowering.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
How tall is she??:)
I hope you mean "inseam" and not "instep". If it is "instep", I wouldn't think she needs to lower at all. :D

instep
Noun
1. the middle part of the foot forming the arch between the ankle and toes

My inseam is about 29". I'm fine with the bike at stock height. She does not need to flat foot on both sides. I find leaning the bike to one side a bit at stops works well. She just needs to be comfortable with doing that.

If she does need to lower, dropping it about an inch front and back should be plenty.

You can also consider having the seat shaved instead.
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=105214

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your right. It's inseam. She is 5'1" and she cant move the bike while on the very tips of her toes. Did just have the realization that the suspension is still set at it hardest, so that will make a difference too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hi,
my wife is 4'10" so i know what you mean, we had our local dealer lower my 250r for her to try before ordering one.
They used a swingarm from a zx6 which dropped it rougly 2" . The downside of that is the ground clearance is only just over 3" at the lowest point.
We've managed to get via another member here a roaringtoyz lowering kit, as there are different height adjustments with it, as well as handlebar raisers and a shorter side stand.
The way we tested if even when lowered she would be able to get enough of her foot down as to take the seat off completely and try.
It is a good idea to be able to get at least one foot down properly when learning a new bike otherwise panic sets in.

Let us know how you get on,

The wife is still waiting for hers - ordered early sept, now told its going to be Jan'09 :(

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
yep, try bumping the rear shock setting down to its lowest setting... that should help.

also, as a test, remove the seat and have her carefully sit on the bike to see if lowering it by that amount would solve the problem.

at 5' 1" and a 29" inseam, she has very long legs for her size. I'm 5' 7". :p

pics, pleaz. :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
The last thing you want to do is to lower the bike. Try all the good suggestions above first. Shave the seat, shock adjustment, and, most importantly, proper riding boots (Frey-Daytona) with thick heals. You'd be surprised how much thick heals help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. So maybe I went a bit high when measuring her inseam (Bad grin). BTW she already has some daytona boots for riding pillion. Nobody gets on without ATGATT.

·
Registered
113 Posts
at 5' 1" and a 29" inseam, she has very long legs for her size. I'm 5' 7". :p
No kidding. I'm 5'7" and my inseam is only about 30" too. :eek:

Anyway, I would suggest you start by shaving the seat. You can shave the seat about 1". There is a guy out there that does the seat shaving and put in gel insert for ~$100 IIRC. Can't remember his exact website address but it's something like gooddaytoride.com...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts