Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going -1 on the front sprocket and keeping the rear at the stock requirement (40)

How much top end will I lose?

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
You don't loose any top end power, you lose top end speed. Just down one on the front doesn't make too big of a difference in top end speed...you really won't even notice it unless you radar the before-after, and unless you get a speedo healer, the gauges will display the exact same readings they displayed before.

·
Registered
271 Posts
kind of apples and oranges, but I went +2 on the rear of my 05 and it maxes out just a hair below redline now, which is ideal.

speedo reads 182 indicated, so maybe like high 160 range actual. this is in Florida in the dead of summer. some cooler weather might net better results.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by PiercedJD
kind of apples and oranges, but I went +2 on the rear of my 05 and it maxes out just a hair below redline now, which is ideal.

speedo reads 182 indicated, so maybe like high 160 range actual. this is in Florida in the dead of summer. some cooler weather might net better results.
It's not really apples and oranges. The 05/06 still shares the bloodline with the bike rated top 10 in the 100 best performance bikes of all time...they're just a bit heavier.

hehehe [:p]

·
Registered
271 Posts
point being that I didn't lose any top speed, if anything I possibly gained some. it gets harder drive to top speed, gets there faster, and stays in the power longer.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I can garuntee you, if you change your gearing from factory and go to -1 front or +2/3 on the rear your top speed is not going to be the same. The factory speedo is already off by about 7 to 10 percent from the factory. Throw it off some more with a re geared bike and it gets into the 10 to 15 percent range of error.

Most mags say the 636 tops around 161 or so, regear it I would expect you to be right in the 158 range with that gearing depending on weather and mods.

My 10R was almost 8% off from the factory and with stock gearing will only hit 181 with a speedohealer. I have raced a 10R that was -1 in the front and after we get into 5th gear and roll on it I pull away from him after 165ish as his bike is nearing the end of his powerband and I am just getting into mine. If you gear it lower it will lose some speed in the WOT high end of the range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.