Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so when i lowsided my bike, my frame slider BOLT bent (vortex sliders).

now, right where it mounted at the engine mount, that stock bolt and nut are all messed up and i cant get them out to replace them.

what do you guys suggest?

also, even if i do get them out, how the heck do i put the new nut back on.. its not a hex nut or anything like that. very weird.

advice please??

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by KAWI05
ouch---go to dealer before you fuck something else up let them break something else!!!
i didnt fuck it up.. thats how it looks from the accident.. now im just trying to get it out to replace it.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
lmao...EXACT same thing that happened to mine. I've been bitching about it for years but no one takes me seriously. Vortex is freaking CRAP man.

The only way to get that bolt out and a new one back in is to drop the engine. You can cut that bolt out, but you won't be able to put the new one in unless you do that. It's not really hurting anything being tweaked like that, but it really hinders the ability for new frame sliders to work right, even if they're built with actual quality.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by dragknt
lmao...EXACT same thing that happened to mine. I've been bitching about it for years but no one takes me seriously. Vortex is freaking CRAP man.

The only way to get that bolt out and a new one back in is to drop the engine. You can cut that bolt out, but you won't be able to put the new one in unless you do that. It's not really hurting anything being tweaked like that, but it really hinders the ability for new frame sliders to work right, even if they're built with actual quality.
the engine has to be dropped to do it?? damn! not cool.

there is no other way around it? it doesnt even look like the engine would need to be dropped.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i might try to get an allen wrench that same size or just a little bigger, and try to hammer it in and then use a cheeter bar to turn the allen wrench. would hurt to get some one with a pair of vice grips to help you as well while you use the allen. lass chance of messing up the allen wrench and bolt from not working, and make it that much easier on you.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by helo-pilot
i might try to get an allen wrench that same size or just a little bigger, and try to hammer it in and then use a cheeter bar to turn the allen wrench. would hurt to get some one with a pair of vice grips to help you as well while you use the allen. lass chance of messing up the allen wrench and bolt from not working, and make it that much easier on you.
already tried that. hammered one in, and put a huge breaker bar on it and nothing.

also tried a few other things and all i did was break 2 tools trying lol.

·
Registered
748 Posts
would it be possible to grind it down to the nut (get rid of the 'tweaked' portion)??

·
Registered
279 Posts
Could you use a dremmel and cut a slice in it so you could use a flathead screwdriver? I know they do this with Philips head screws and allen bolts to get them out.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by PBrider
Could you use a dremmel and cut a slice in it so you could use a flathead screwdriver? I know they do this with Philips head screws and allen bolts to get them out.
i did exactly that on a stripped bolt on my bike this weekend. Used the dremel to grind a slit into it, then used a flathead to get it out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I doubt you could get enough leverage with a screwdriver to get it out. Welding the nut on there is a good idea. Just find somebody you trust since it's right on your frame...

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is a simple solution to this. First you must make SURE you have FULL coverage on your bike. Then, you need to make some kind of a home made bomb or a rag in the gas tank I mean whatever you got to do to make this thing blow up. Then, blow that puppy up right in the middle of a parking lot. Contact your insurance company say you went in to get some of that good ole' uncle bens rice and you came out side to see your bike blown up... You can also blame it on those Susuki riders or even better ! You could make up a story like "Yeah, this Harley rider told me not to park my bike next to his and I rebuttled saying Hey, think of like this. If I park my bike next to your bike your bike might learn something." Then reply that he stoomped away pissing and moaning and you overheard him mumbling about blowing shit up!!!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I would do this:

First, use a dremel to cut as much of the messed up threads off that are visible. Then either buy or make a tool to take the outter castle nut off. You could use an old socket the right size and take the dremel to it to cut notches in until it fits the nut. Then slowly start working that nut off. Once it is out of the way, the inner threaded part looks like it should just come out without the castle nut holding it, check the parts diagram below. It does look like you would need to drop the engine as it looks like it is in between the frame and the engine mount. You need to replace all that stuff anyhow so I wouldn't worry about damage to them any more. Just be carefull of the frame.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by xtremewlr
I would do this:

First, use a dremel to cut as much of the messed up threads off that are visible. Then either buy or make a tool to take the outter castle nut off. You could use an old socket the right size and take the dremel to it to cut notches in until it fits the nut. Then slowly start working that nut off. Once it is out of the way, the inner threaded part looks like it should just come out without the castle nut holding it, check the parts diagram below. It does look like you would need to drop the engine as it looks like it is in between the frame and the engine mount. You need to replace all that stuff anyhow so I wouldn't worry about damage to them any more. Just be carefull of the frame.

damn.... it looks like that threaded piece thats all messed up has to come out from the INSIDE which would mean ya the engine needs to be dropped to do that. 1st gotta get that nut off then get it out from the inside by where the engine is

i might just take it up to a bike shop or the dealer and see what they would charge to fix it.... damnit.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
that bolt is for adjusting the motor. to align it. im not sure but maybe u could adjust it ALL the way to the left.. maybe give u enough room to back it out a little.
oh and btw it wont turn cuz the 4 sided nut is a lock nut. try getting the right tool and backing that off first. then the allen would turn freely

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.