Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tools needed are a cutting tool, I used a dremel. A chisel and hammer. More civilized methods for the step these tools are used in are out there. Use your best judgment.

Step one. Remove tail fairing exposing exhaust tip.

Step two. Remove rear exhaust tip via three hex head screw, two on top, one on bottom.

Step three. Cut rear exhaust tips off.

Step four. Take the cutting tool of your choice,(dremel in my case), and cut along the inside of the factory welds on the back of the exhaust can. BE SURE TO LEAVE THE BOTTOM MOUNTING TAB FOR THE TIP. See picture Titled step four.

Step Five. Now that you can see in the can, you see a single pipe coming out of a blocked off section. Take the tool of your choice,(hammer and chisel in my case) and beat the right side of that block out. I broke the welds first and then just bent the metal back. Be careful not to break through the outer shell of the exhaust. See picture's titled, what you see, and after removal. I'm sorry i didn't get pictures of what it looked like before hand. I didn't know people would actually want me to do a write up or i would have cataloged every step.. But trust me after you get past step four you'll see the single pipe coming out of the blocked off section of the exhaust can.

Step six. If you like you can paint the exhaust tip any color you want. Just sand and paint with high temp pain. Then reinstall the tip and put it all back together. UPDATE... Make sure to take JB weld or Copper gasket maker and Seal the outer tip to the Exhaust can. You will need to sand a bit on the mating surfaces to get it to stick good. There have been some reports that where the tip isn't sealed to the can its cause hot exhaust gas to go back up into the tail section plastics and melting the plastics. So if your going to do this, Seal the tip to the Exhaust.

Attachments

Reactions: wmdspalmer

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll do a little write up on how to take the tail fairing off. But FYI there is are a few things you need to take off. The back seat, there are four allen head screws that you can see that obvisously hold the tail piece on. Then on the brake side there is three screws on the upper finisher, On the shifter side there is one screw in the upper finisher. The two upper finisher's pop off when you remove the screws. Remove the upper finisher's and then there is one screw holding the tail fairing on the shifter side and two on the brake side. Then pull the sides apart and lift the tail fairing off. Then there is a little black trim underneath the tail fairing. Should be four screw that you can see goes to it. When you get them out, the back of that little section comes apart. Push the shifter side forward and the brake side back and it un hooks from one another. Its dark here and i can't do the write up at the moment. So tomorrow i'll do a step by step. But thats all i have for you right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been looking everywhere for the 05-06 ZX6R model, I think is actually pretty much the same inside the exhaust, but I am not 100% positive. Someone knows?

·
Registered
80 Posts
finished product pictures, what does it look like once the entire bike is done and back together? post em up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
An easier Idea - Not sure how it will sound

Any body try using an about 3/4" drill bit on each side of the center tube in the back baffle? This appears to be able to give a direct outlet for each side tube and would not require any other modification since this would fit through the factory tip.

I have an 07 ZX6R with the jumper mod. Great bike... Very quiet.

If anybody is going to try the above mod, be a sport and do this first to let me know if it sounds like its trying to whisle :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
^^ curious to this as well.. much easier and would be nice to get that nice sound without having to cut or take anything off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i should be getting my 08 zx6r soon. i will doit and post it. i will also make a vid of it for youtube and if i could link it here or w/e. if it sounds bad i will also the the original way listed b4 this way u could hear every way to be cheap =) lmao. u gotta do wat u gotta do these days...

·
Registered
133 Posts
so nobody knows how it sounds?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rPAT
so nobody knows how it sounds?

holy shit youtube is hard to use... :rolleyes:

you really couldnt find anything.. or your too lazy and want people to do it for you.
just lazy but thanks anyhow
rep sent :)

i did the mod but instead of cutting the whole inner wall
i just drill a 1 1/4 hole on the left
and 1 1/2 hole to the right
opens the pipes directly
but as far as it looks you only have to open up the right side
and its open straight thru the exhaust pipes
the hole to the left is pretty much for less baffles to make it louder

it sounds deep and mean
but cruising around 4 - 5k rmps kinda makes my ears ring

thanks again hedzor , and i mean it , not in any sarcastic way sir:)

·
Registered
467 Posts
i'd just buy an exhaust... that thing is heavy and fugly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
im a regular working guy with a family
it was a stretch on my wallet enough to get a bike
and getting a $450 dollar exhaust on top of it is a no no
priorities come first

and comparing a 450 dollar exhaust to a $20 mod
id go for the mod anytime

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did this about a month ago and i love it. it gets a little bit of a drone at 4-6000 rpm but isnt that bad. sure does beat dropping a grip load of money on a new pipe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts