Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$12 plus shipping, I bought the parts from www.svc.com, search for 80mm CCFL.

Link to Search:
http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?unique=32e6a&catalog=svcompucycle

All I used were the 2 fans, with the CCFL tubes. There was heat shrink, from my place that I also used. But basically, there were no additional parts.

I wired the front light to the halos, cause I got a fix it ticket for the green front light, and the switch kills all the lights. I'm sure you could make your own wiring system, but this one works for me.

CCFL Fan

CCFL Fan and tools

Opened fan

Close up fan

Removed Light

Cutting zip tie

Separated

Wires

Toggle switch

Removed Toggle

Computer wires

Removing needed wires

Removed Wires

Clipping power wire

Wiring harness

2 CCFL tubes

Plastic off CCFL tubes. Note: I left the plastic on, when I installed it on the lights, it was a tight fit, almost like it was made to be put on like that.

Inverter, you need this, I believe it inverts the the power from D/C to A/C or something like that.

All connected together

Continued in next post.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

CCFL light test

Front fairing off

Front fairing

Taking off headlight

Headlight assembly

Where I attached the inverter. The fans come with Velcro.

Bike with no headlights

Prying apart headlights

Heatgunning the headlight to rip it in pieces.

Pulling apart headlight. Note: I heard you can bake the headlights, but this way worked for me, you can bake em, or whatever you want to do, to get them apart.

Front headlight

Front headlight assembly

Attaching CCFL tubes

Headlight boobs

Clear silicone sealant. Note: This stuff dries on clear, and reacts well to heat, so they won't move, or pop out with vibration, I highly suggest using some type of sealant, as the CCFL tubes could potentially move

Wiring it out

Number 2 headlight

Sealing number 2

Close up of sealant

Continued on next post.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Wiring both through

Testing

1 eyed headlight

Wiring picture

Put back on rubber seal

Reattaching headlight

Reattaching front fairing

Wiring

Inverter wired up

Attaching underside panel, with attached inverter

Switch. Note: I haven't attached the switch anywhere, it just hangs loose, I plan to get a marine grade switch that is water proof and attach it somewhere, but for now, it works as is.

Lights on, headlights off

Close up

Lights on, and headlights on

Lights off, and headlights on

How I wired everything up.

Thoughts and notes:

I touched the bulb upon replacing it, so now you can see fingerprints on it, but you have to be looking for it.

I tried to angle the dark spot on the halos to the bottom, toward the center of the fairing, on both sides, but it turns out you can see them pretty clearly, and it would be better if they were angled towards the top center, or even top outwards.

This took a total of about 3 hours. I wired it all, not the to electrical harness because that part is expensive to replace, wire it to the headlight wiring harness, please.

Any questions?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you like them, I think you should do it. It's definitly worth it. They're only a, what?, 450 dollar headlight assembly? ;-)

The part that made me most afraid was the baking, but since I didn't have to do that, it was cake.

Seriously, I had cake afterwards.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you like them, I think you should do it. It's definitly worth it. They're only a, what?, 450 dollar headlight assembly? ;-)

The part that made me most afraid was the baking, but since I didn't have to do that, it was cake.

Seriously, I had cake afterwards.
if you baked them it would have been a lot easier...
200 degrees for 10 minutes and it pulls apart... same thing when you put it back together...

·
Registered
182 Posts
hey could you please give a little more detail on the wiring part?
i didnt get how you use switch to control that. where did you put the switch?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Great write up!

I plan on doing this to my bike as well. Just one thing I feel I should mention...
~~~~
To all the guys doing this mod, be careful where you mount the inverter. Put it someplace where it will stay cool and dry.

They tend to get kind of hot even on their own, and have been know to actually smolder and melt themselves sometimes. This is when used just in a computer case - mounting it too close to a header or hot engine would be a lot worst.

FYI, they take 12vDC and turn it into like 680volts AC, or something rediculously high. House mains are 110-120 in the USA. Even though it is comparatively low amps, that kind of voltage is still not something to take too lightly. I personally had one of them running dual 12" ccfls for 24/7 for almost a year without incident, but just throwing it out there that it is possible and I have seen pics of them basically melting themselves.
~~~~

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey could you please give a little more detail on the wiring part?
i didnt get how you use switch to control that. where did you put the switch?
At the moment, my switch is just hanging there by the wires. As for wiring it in, look at the diagram, it's wired, so that it'll kill the center light, and both halos.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took pictures before hand, because I thought I wouldn't need them. But upon putting them on, I decided to continue using the plastic, because the fit was so tight. You could, also assemble it without using the plastic.

In short:
I just wanted to show how they were assembled.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts