Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after some discussion I decided that in an attempt to get rid of the 5000rpm flat spots that comes from factory tuning I would shim the main jets myself. This is sort of a do it yourself jet kit.
The end result, it pulls much smoother from 4000 to about 8000 but the rest of the rpm range feels about the same. I dont know if it is just because it is smoother, but it does feel FASTER through the mid range also.

So lets get started
I went out and bought some #4 nylon washers at home depot. Another member said he used brass but I went with nylon because there is a stock spacer that is nylon so I figured, why not match.

First take off your gas tank and top and bottom of the airbox (good time to clean the filter while you have it torn down) I also removed the ram air tube rubber boots so you can access some screws.
Next, remove the two screws that are holding on each of the four black caps

Be VERY carefull when removing these caps. There are tiny little O rings in there and if you lose one you may never find it.

Here are the O rings and where they come off of.

Next remove the diaphragm and vacuum piston that houses the needle.
Be very carefull when handling the diaphragm they are very fragile and I was told they cost $100 each!

Next using needle nose, pull on the tab of the plug that holds the needle in place. Pull straight up and be carefull because there is a small spring and washer that could fall out.

Now you should have evrything out and laid out nice and clean.

O.K. so here is the tiny little add on that will make you supersonic speed racer!
You will need to slide the white nylon spacer down and off the needle. Then slide one of your little #4 nylon washers up the needle and flush with the metal retaining washer. Slide the stock, fat, nylon washer back up to sandwich your little add on.
In the picture you can see where the new washer goes and in the upper part you can get a good look at the little guys.

The top needle is how it looks stock and the add on washer is sitting above it.
The bottom needle has the new washer on but everything needs to be pushed together

You can also see the small metal washer that goes on top of the retaining washer, dont forget to set that back on top.

Drop the needles with the new shims and metal washer on top, back down through the piston. Use some needle nose to set the little spring in and then push the little plug that holds it all down until you here it click (be gentle of course) Check that all your needles are at the same level to be sure everything is in right.

Reassemble and go ride a very twisty road and thank me when you get home in time to watch sponge bob.
DTM

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
fucking sweet...thanks man....looks like i have another winter project....might as well do this when i check my valves...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Does this article apply to the '98 as well, I know the motors are similar with revisions?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
does it work for a '96?? i could occupy my winter time with doing this if it does

·
Registered
720 Posts
In your last pic you said the 2nd one has the new washer on, but I really can't see where it had gone. Are you sure you put it there?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it goes between the big spacer and the little metal retaining clip(looks like a metal washer in the pic)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.