Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I read a bunch of articles about winterising the bike, the best one to me is: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/winter-storage.html#1.

But I have one question: I live in NYC and the winters are usually not that bad and the snow doesn't always stay long. If I manage to ride my bike for a few hours at least once a month thru the winter is that enough to avoid winterizing it?

If not what is the longest time that I can store the bike without needing to winterize it?

Thanks,
Benjamin
'02 zx6r red

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have a buddy who managed to go without winterizing his bike (TL1000R) all winter last year, and I think our winters are comparable...

He just left his bike on plywood in the garage (so cement didn't dry the tires), and made a point of starting it, letting it run, and keeping the fluids moving regularly. And get this, he got in at LEAST one GOOD ride every calender month last year... JAN-FEB-MAR included... So if you think you can get out on it during the winter, and make sure it doesn't sit idly for extended periods I don't think there's any harm done...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hey Bengrenon,

I also live in Queens, and last year i just kept riding my bike back and forth to work. Never had any troubles with it at all.

If you don't ride it regularly, what I would recommend is that you ride it at least once every two weeks. Take it out for a spin on the highways for a while, or get stuck in traffic on the LIE going into or out of Manhattan during the rush hours. This way the oil will get up to full temp and burn off any water condensation that might have built up during its idle period.

If the weather is too cold for you to ride in you can always just give me a call, I can pop over in my winter riding gear, have you follow me in your car, and I can give it a work out for you while you stay nice and warm. ;)

The other thing you can do is disconnect the gas tank from the carbs, put the tank on a bench, and run the bike until the carbs run out of fuel. If you run into a day nice enough for riding, just hook up the tank, let the fuel pump prime the carbs, and go riding.

BC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.