Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Powerhungry
38,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, heres a simple HOW TO.

i accept NO responsibility if you SCREW up.

To bleed the brakes:

*if the system was DRY* [START start with the MC first, if its got a bleeder]

Make sure the RES is full, with clean fluid. *most bikes take dot4.*

[I suggest getting some clear "fish tank" tubing. Put that on the bleeder nipple, into a jug, bottle, or equivelant catch pan. brake fluid WILL eat the paint, if left too long.]

Open the bleeder on the caliper, while its open, pull the brake lever to the bar.

While the lever is back, close the bleeder.
NEVER release the lever while the bleeder is open. this would suction air back into the system.

repeat, and repeat as needed, doing BOTH calipers.

Check the RES often, and dont let it go empty.

Oh yeh, also, ONLY do this while the caliper is on the bike, WITH the brake pads IN place.
Basically do this until you are getting ONLY clean brake fluid. no air, or odd colored fluid.

Test the brakes BEFORE riding it. ensure youve got a firm lever, and that you CANT push the bike once the brake is applied.

good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you know what diameter tubes do we need for 600s (stock '04 ZX-6RR)? (I presume that they would all be the same)

·
Powerhungry
38,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know what diameter tubes do we need for 600s (stock '04 ZX-6RR)? (I presume that they would all be the same)
i dont know the size actually. its small. look at the nipple on the bleeder screw, you need it to fit over that snug.
i dont have my bike in front of me, so im afraid to venture a guess.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,304 Posts
Never tried it this way. I'll be swapping out brake lines on my gixxer soon as I get my Spieglers from Motomummy. I'll give it a shot.

Elbee, if I'm not mistaken (and i could be), I believe the tubing I used was a 5/16 OD and a 3/16 ID for my '05 636. I know I heat the end to make it easier/pliable enough to get over the bleeder and when it cools it's on there tight.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Nevada, I just tried your method, which worked great except not pumping the lever. No fluid would run through the lines without pumping it. At the end of it all I got much better braking power, and the lever about as firm as before. Was just always kind of spongy after a ride.

Should I rebleed this week without pumping the lever? I didn't see any air bubbles in the lines or have any other kinds of issues. I would just pump the lever to get the old fluid flowing and then leave the lever pulled in while the new fluid came through the tubes.

·
Powerhungry
38,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nevada, I just tried your method, which worked great except not pumping the lever. No fluid would run through the lines without pumping it. At the end of it all I got much better braking power, and the lever about as firm as before. Was just always kind of spongy after a ride.

Should I rebleed this week without pumping the lever? I didn't see any air bubbles in the lines or have any other kinds of issues. I would just pump the lever to get the old fluid flowing and then leave the lever pulled in while the new fluid came through the tubes.
the MC doesnt move very much fluid.

were you bleeding the system, or just flushing it? the biggest issue is if theres air in the system. it can become aerated, and very hard to remove.

i would try again, without pumping. but remember, your not gonna get a SHOT of fluid, it will just barely come out.

·
Registered
636 Posts
the MC doesnt move very much fluid.

were you bleeding the system, or just flushing it? the biggest issue is if theres air in the system. it can become aerated, and very hard to remove.

i would try again, without pumping. but remember, your not gonna get a SHOT of fluid, it will just barely come out.

Well I guess I was just flushing it? I've noticed the lever become sort of spongey lately after a decent little ride, and the fluid is the res was murky brown and the back res was pretty murky too. So I removed the fluid out of the res, put new DOT4 fluid in the res, attached hose to the end of the bleeder valve-nipple and it went into a little bottle. With the lever down, I opened the valve and let the fluid drain.

I'm going to try the other sort of 'trick' I saw posted in another thread to zip tie the lever tight and see how that affects the stifness of everything.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I do mine like i would do it on cars!
-press brake lever and hold it
-open bleeder screw
-close bleeder screw
-release lever
discound auto parts sells a kit with the clear bleeder hose for maybe 3-4 bucks! i bought it a while back and have been using it since. it works great
nice write up

·
Registered
744 Posts
i learned this way from that tuners show lol. they hire three builders two customizer their car compete in looks and performance. i like this way because you can see the air in the system which helps a llot

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just finished bleeding brakes only thing i did different from you is pulled in brakes then realesed valve repeated until running clean do u see any problem with this ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dont know the size actually. its small. look at the nipple on the bleeder screw, you need it to fit over that snug.
i dont have my bike in front of me, so im afraid to venture a guess.
I went out, bought a couple sizes of the vinyl tubing and the 5/16 od or 3/16 id fit more snug than a bug in a rug. Haven't tried it yet, but I will this afternoon and post results. This is for the 07 650r, but the bleeder nipples should be pretty standard size.

·
Powerhungry
38,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just finished bleeding brakes only thing i did different from you is pulled in brakes then realesed valve repeated until running clean do u see any problem with this ?
as long as the tube stays submerged in brake fluid, it should be fine.
and thats fine for flushing, but not so great for bleeding.

things are different when theres air in the system.

I went out, bought a couple sizes of the vinyl tubing and the 5/16 od or 3/16 id fit more snug than a bug in a rug. Haven't tried it yet, but I will this afternoon and post results. This is for the 07 650r, but the bleeder nipples should be pretty standard size.
cool man, yeh, post up the size.

usually tho, you can get away with several sizes, depending on the hose, since its flexible. you can make a smaller size than THE correct one fit. ive had to do it many times.
mostly because im too lazy to go out and buy the CORRECT one, i'll just use what i have laying around. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts