Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone requested a "How To" on replacing a battery in the 05/06 ZX-6R so here goes....

1) On the left plastic body panel, remove the two allen screws circled in red below and then remove the panel.

2) On the right plastic body panel, remove the single allen screw circled in red below and then remove the panel.

3) Remove the seat bolts as seen circled in red in the two pictures below, then remove the seat.

4) Remove the tank cover bolt. On a bike without a rotary style steering damper, your tank cover bolt will be where I have circled in red. If you have a damper, you will need to remove the damper and all mounting bolts.

5) Remove the tank base nut and bolt circled in red below. The nut will come right off, but you may have to jiggle the tank a bit to get the bolt to come all the way out.

6) Remove the left and right tank bolts that are running through the frame. The following two pictures have them circled in red.

7) Now you can either have a friend hold the tank up for a few minutes ... or just lift the back up with one hand while you remove the bolts circled below in the bar that runs across your battery. You do NOT need to disconnect any wires or fuel lines from your tank.

8) Now remove the two allen screws that are in your tail section pictured below.

9) Slide the bar out of the way and you can now access the battery terminals. All that you need to do from here is disconnect the negative terminal ... then the positive terminal ... then remove the battery.

10) Place the new battery in place and perform everything above in reverse order.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I can't believe how hard kawi made it to take out the battery....on the 675 all you do is put your key underneth the seat and take off the seat. Boom battery!

·
Registered
8 Posts
battery tender

when you replace your battery buy a battery tender and connect the pigtail to your battery.
that way during the winter or when you will not be ridering for a period of time you can keep your battery charged so you dont have to go though the hassel again. they are around 28 bucks at Kragens.

I have the other end of the pigtail covered under the plastic on the right side of the bike. one bolt to remove the plastic and expose the other end of the pigtail. takes 2 minutes to remove and replace the plastic cover.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when you replace your battery buy a battery tender and connect the pigtail to your battery.
that way during the winter or when you will not be ridering for a period of time you can keep your battery charged so you dont have to go though the hassel again. they are around 28 bucks at Kragens.

I have the other end of the pigtail covered under the plastic on the right side of the bike. one bolt to remove the plastic and expose the other end of the pigtail. takes 2 minutes to remove and replace the plastic cover.
:plusone: I already have a battery tender pigtail on mine, but it is definately a good time to put one on if you don't already have one. I actually ran my plug down next to the tank vent hoses on the left side of the bike so that I can plug it in at anytime without removing anything. It is zip tied to the other hoses and can be seen circled in Kawi green below. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
what brand of battery tender do u guys have? I want to get one tomorrow.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Finally got around to changing my battery yesterday. In my opinion it is a two-man job.
It was so much easier having a second set of hands there to hold the tank while I took out the old and put in the new.
The how-to at the beginning of this post is pretty much spot-on.

Only a couple of things I'd add.

The first is that if you order your battery from an online vendor it will come with the acid in a separate bottle.
You have to fill the battery with the acid and put the cover on. Also, your battery will not be charged when you get it.
This came as a surprise to me but since I also ordered a battery tender it was not a problem.
I just filled the battery the night before and plugged it to the tender to charge overnight.
I'm unsure if it would have been able to start the bike had I not charged it as I did not try, I just assumed it wouldn't as the directions from Yausa said the battery needed to be charged.

The second thing worth noting and the only part that took a little finessing was getting the screws to catch the bolt on the battery.
If you have several things attached to each battery terminal it can be difficulty to get the screw to catch the bolt.
This is where my second man holding the battery came in handy, while he held the tank up I used a small screwdriver to raise the bolt up so it could catch the screw.

After having my battery dead for a while it felt great when I pushed the start button and the bike fired right up.
And when someone saw the bike plugged into the wall they joked that I must have converted it to a hybrid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you're a life saver!! couldn't have done it without this post. =)

now... how about a step by step "how to change the oil" post? pretty plz?

i would love to have step by step guides like this for every single vehicle for ever repair... so helpful!

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
The first is that if you order your battery from an online vendor it will come with the acid in a separate bottle.
You have to fill the battery with the acid and put the cover on. Also, your battery will not be charged when you get it.
This came as a surprise to me but since I also ordered a battery tender it was not a problem.
I just filled the battery the night before and plugged it to the tender to charge overnight..
Just means you got the cheaper battery. You can order them factory sealed and charged, ready to go. Like 75 bucks here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this the same pretty much for the 636 version as well for the same years? I don't know if there really is much of a difference between the two but before I tackle this I just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is this the same pretty much for the 636 version as well for the same years? I don't know if there really is much of a difference between the two but before I tackle this I just wanted to make sure.
I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but for future readers yes, this is for the 636 ZX6-R.

Thanks for a great post though! Couldn't believe how difficult Kawi made it on this bike but this post saved me at 2:00AM while I was scratching my head like a cave man trying to replace my battery

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you connected the battery tender and left the clamps hooked up to the battery, how did you put the red protection cap back onto the positive terminal? <--- In order to leave the battery tender hook up on all year round?

If you didn't put the red cap back on wouldnt it cause the positive terminal to corrode or cause a possible electrical short or shock being exposed?

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you connected the battery tender and left the clamps hooked up to the battery, how did you put the red protection cap back onto the positive terminal? <--- In order to leave the battery tender hook up on all year round?

If you didn't put the red cap back on wouldnt it cause the positive terminal to corrode or cause a possible electrical short or shock being exposed?
I just put it back on by stretching it back over the battery terminal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You rock! Always wondered about the connections and the pics were great. Someone close by should buy this man (or woman) a beer, otherwise send me your address and I'll mail you $5. Mind you it'll be $5 CAD, so use it quick before your dollar rises. :p
Thanks Speeddeemn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts