Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a problem with my bike cover and water started pooling up on it around the bar ends and now they are rusted. I bought new ones but am having trouble putting them on because the throttle side has an odd allen key setup with a button inside of it like you would find on a bolt that takes a castle nut. I'm wondering if anybody has done this yet and knows of the tool that I need.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Haven't taken mine off yet but I'm suffering from the same problem.. motorcycle covers suck. :(

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Interesting, I figured you just loosen them up, put new ones on and tighen them down. There's actually a trick to replacing bar ends?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by hokie636
Interesting, I figured you just loosen them up, put new ones on and tighen them down. There's actually a trick to replacing bar ends?
I thought that's all there was to it too but like I said... I've never even really made an attempt to take mine off and hadn't planned on it until I got new ones.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Factory bar ends have these shitty metal inserts that are impossible to remove (once the bar end is off the bike). You can take off the bar end and replace it easily with an after market one, but if you want a factory bar end you need to order the bar end, metal o ring and little insert that slides into the bar end that the screw secures to the handle bars. Hard part is how the hell do you fit the metal bracket into the bar end???? It's so tight it doesn't fit short of hammering the thing in and messing up the new bar end. I say just get an aftermarket bar end and save yourself the hassle.

·
Powerhungry
37,951 Posts
why are they rusting? unless theyre scratched or something they shouldnt rust.
my bike is outside always, though rain or whatever. i had a touch of rust, where it got scratched when it was knocked over.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dunno man. I just changed my bar ends yesterday for a set of weighted Motovation pieces, and all I did was unscrew the bolt at the end and pull it off, then reverse it for installing the new ones. They literally unscrewed from the end, no trick of any kind. There was some red loctite on the threads, so they were tight as shit to break loose, but that was it.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I lost my bar end (or someone stoled it) on the right side and had to order the bar end, bushing, and bolt. The bushing is almost near impossible to pound in the bar end. I almost destroyed it. Then there's a ring lock. The rubber bushing is designed to vibrate the bar end reducing the over all vibration on the handle bar. It cost me about 30 bucks from the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.