Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a step-by-step guide for changing the front brake rotor (preferrably with pictures)

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
As Jahlion said, buy a manual. I've got one for my '96 and it is an immense help when doing repairs, even if they are minor. Front rotors are pretty easy to take off though. First of all, you have to take your front wheel off, so you need a frontstand or a bike jack. Loosen your front axle and remove it, then take off your brake calipers and use zip ties to hang them on the bike so the brake lines aren't supporting the weight. Then roll the front wheel out from under the fender, and unscrew the rotors. Pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
29 Posts
99zx6r!

I also need to replace my front rotor. Can you tell me:

1. how come it got bent? overheating?
2. what price did you pay for a new one?

Andrej

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My rotor was a little warped when I bought the bike used, since changing the pads it has gotten really bad. It pulsates like crazy. It probably got warped from the last guy doing stoppies or something.

A new one from Kawasaki is around $350 CAD, but I found an after market one (APC) for $339 CAD. I paid about $50 CAD for each set of front brake pads.

Originally posted by andrej
<br />99zx6r!

I also need to replace my front rotor. Can you tell me:

1. how come it got bent? overheating?
2. what price did you pay for a new one?

Andrej

·
Registered
468 Posts
They warp becuase you have to torque them in a specific pattern. If not, the first time you heat them they will go out of round. Make sure to use red lock tight when putting them back on as well.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by Six-R
They warp becuase you have to torque them in a specific pattern. If not, the first time you heat them they will go out of round. Make sure to use red lock tight when putting them back on as well.
The service manual does not show a tightening sequence for the mounting bolts. Tighten them alternating diagonally.

The bolts come with a red non-permanent locking agent, but red Loctite (Threadlocker 262) is permanent. Use a non-permanent locking agent like blue Loctite (Threadlocker 242).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Old post people.
Stop digging them up.
BC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.