Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· The Indifference Engine
6,136 Posts
Uhhh,

I strongly recommend you remove the actual caliper during the procedure. This lets you clean carefully around the pistons and reduces the likelyhood of damaging a pad while putting it in place OR while pushing the pistons back in (side note it's a good idea to clean the pistons prior to pushing them in so you don't damage the seals.

Also I noticed you used the screwdriver to only press against PART of the piston, and you levered it against the disc. Both are bad ideas, you could cock the piston in the chamber and get it stuck in place, and you could warp the disc.

Finally, I'd suggest apply a SMALL, SMALL amount of assembly lube to the pin portion of the pad retainer (just a light gloss coat) as it can help prevent wear on the pin over time.

All in all, I would not use this method to change my or anyone's brake pads. Sorry tdiv.

· Registered
28,587 Posts
Great vid, thanks dude.
I'm going to do this soon, is it more advisable to take your caliper off and clean the pistons at the same time?
yes

i didn't actually watch the video, but if he didn't take the calipers off he's doing it wrong.

also if the pads are really worn you're not gonna be able to get the new pads in between the pistons and the rotor without pushing the pistons back. you don't want to be prying directly on the pistons or rotor.

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I followed the service manual i use to take the calipers off but it shows the pads to be just taken off the way I did in the video... and I state in the video "Im not a professional" so take my video and read sev's post you should be good. I am just trying help guys along a bit thats what the video was for. Sorry if some of you dont like it....

Thanks
Tyler

· The Indifference Engine
6,136 Posts
Honestly dude, I'd take down the vid. You're likely to wreck someones calipers/discs like that. Remember, people on youtube won't see your posts, and it's possible that people won't read mine until AFTER something happens.

· Registered
28,587 Posts
I followed the service manual i use to take the calipers off but it shows the pads to be just taken off the way I did in the video... and I state in the video "Im not a professional" so take my video and read sev's post you should be good. I am just trying help guys along a bit thats what the video was for. Sorry if some of you dont like it....

Thanks
Tyler
unfortunately your intentions mean little when the advice you give isn't sound.

· Registered
5,994 Posts
This video includes cleaning the brake pistons with an old toothbrush before installing the new pads, and an expert is doing the video. I use a piece of fine sandpaper held onto both sides of the rotor at the same time while spinning the tire by hand in the reverse direction, to resurface each rotor for the new pads:

· Registered
51 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.