Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well everyone, its basically the spring, no matter how much snow falls in April, and this is the time when people start asking the question: "I want to get a bike, but I've never ridden before... What should I get to start out with?"

Yeah yeah yeah, we answer variations of that question dozens of times a week, and each and every time, there's dozens of different answers offered by different people, sometimes the same person offering different answers that contradict their previous one...

Well, here's my official answer that I'll always use in the future, regardless of who's asking the question, how old they are, what bike they're interested in, or what phase the moon is in:

Almost every bike made today is a good bike. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. When it comes to beginner bikes, anything can be the first of many bikes to come, or the very last bike you ever ride in your life. It all depends on what you do with the bike once you get it.

The main thing to ask your self when it comes to buying your very first bike is if you want to (a) learn how to ride a BIKE; or if you want to (b) learn how to RIDE a bike.

If you chose (a), then any bike is fine. If (b), then start small, practice often under varying conditions, and make small steps up in the performance range.

But regardless of what bike you buy, if its a 140 hp R1, or if its a 17 hp Nighthawk 250, you need to be careful when you ride. It takes time to learn how to control a bike. It takes even more time to learn how to react to certain situations on the road. Some bikes need to be ridden differently than others. Pulling the throttle back and feeding out the clutch on a Ninja 250 results in a steady building of power. Do the same on a GSXR-750, and you will be sitting on your ass watching the bike do cartwheels down the road in front of you.

Have fun no matter what you chose, but be safe first and foremost.
BC.

Reactions: interceptor79

·
Registered
346 Posts
your first bike shouldn't be something too expensive like a ducati 998 Troy Bayliss replica, try a special edition R1, it will keep you going for a couple of years, if you want more of a cruiser I suggest a ZZR1200 though.

·
Registered
695 Posts
What ever happened to putting a 16 year old immature kid on top of a ZX12R? Doesn't anyone want to die anymore? shhessh! [8D]

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I knew this young ass kid who just got a brand spanking new R1, and weeks later totalled it...he thought he was the schiznit b/c he thought he could ride, but obviously he couldn't. I suggested to him the MSF course, but started laughing and said i can ride i don't need to take that course....lesson learned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi guys,
I am interested in a ZX6r. I can get a pretty good deal on the ZX6e model, but I am unclear of the differences between the two. This will be my first bike, but I only want to shop once so I would like to get a bike I can grow with. The price difference between the two bikes (ZX6r vs. ZX6e) is about $1250. Any advice would be appreciated.

THanks,

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Wow, check out the www.kawasaki.com website or a kawasaki brochure...

One's a hardcore sportbike, one's a soft sport-tourer...

The ZX6E has surprising mid-range power, but it's also a heavy beast. It's comfy for longer rides though...

Don't get us started on the whole first bike thing all over again... we've already voiced all our collective opinions on that many times...
Check out THIS thread.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Red rocket...

You are an exception to the rule. You won't ever make any mistakes on your bike that will risk you ever being injured, so feel free to buy that Z1000 and ride it like you've been riding bikes since you were 3 years old.

Did you not read the post at the top of this thread? Did any of it confuse you? Let me know if I was unclear with the original message, and I will make changes to fix those problems.

BC.

·
Registered
125 Posts
sure I could get injured, but I could get injured on the 250, I could pull out of a mini mart in a car and get injured. full gear will help me out here a bit. I'll just go out and buy it then :).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Good for you. Buying what you want is the best choice.
BC.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, I've been thinking, and I've realized that since I could fall out of this here chair and break my neck at any given moment (even though I always wear my computer helmet), the obvious next step is to build a 300 HP intercooled turbo Hayabusa. I mean, hell, I rode a BMX bike, once. It's all in how much you turn the throttle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
j/k. The lil 250's are great and will probably wind up getting one anyways because I am too impatient when I have money in my hands. Hey, less than 120 is plenty for me. So don't even worry about me buying something huge and killing myself on it right away. The fun part will be riding around town with a full one piece suit on boots helmet and gloves :D. No disrespect to any of youi guys, you guys are just worried about people getting hurt and not being able to ride again. Syed suit 800, Sidi race boots 320, held gloves 175, and Suomy 400? is alot but my body is worth more than roadrash and all that good stuff. I don't care about dying, I just don't want to live and be in pain.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Originally posted by jasond
A zx6e is a sport cruiser, meaning it is almost like a sport bike without being hunched over the gas tank. The ride is different as well. Shocks,wheels,engine,weight. ZX6R J model is a sport bike in the 600cc class. Lighter meaning quicker. Stiffer shocks meaning ride a little bumbier. More torque also.

Hope this helped.

Leon C.

1 - 20 of 284 Posts