Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whether you're a new or experienced rider, chances are you're going to have a smelly/dirty helmet after all the riding you've done. A lotta people ask how to clean lids inside and out, and although there are a lotta different methods and suggestions, I've compiled the most effective ways to do so. (Plus there wasn't a how to on this anyway, so I hope it helps)

If you own a helmet with a removable interior lining, then you pretty much have it made. You remove the lining and/or the cheekpads and throw them in the laundry machine at delicate cycle, while that is washing, you can clean the outside of the helmet with a soft cloth/towel/micro fiber and mild detergent. Moisten the soft cloth/towel/micro fiber, put a few drops of mild detergent on it, and wipe the shell gently, the detergent will do it's job with the grime/dirt/etc and after you're done, you simply wipe off with water until the detergent is gone. You'll be left with a shiny clean OIL FREE shell.

BUT for those of us with helmets that do NOT have a removable liner.. the job is a little trickier. Skin oil and sweat builds up and all the "spray cleaners" just don't quite cut it. I've tried helmet fresh and all it did was make it smell better, and I've tried Motorex Helmet Care Spray, which yielded same results, all fragrance, minimal cleaning effect (on the lining).

Follow these steps if your helmet doesn't have a removable liner and smells like poop.:poo:

Step one: Buy a helmet to clean if you don't already own one unless you want a how to: stitch your own head/scalp/face up thread.

Step two: Remove the cheekpads, breath guard, visor, etc.

(Cheekpads can be thrown in the wash at delicate cycle)

Step three: Grab some shampoo. If it's good enough for your head, it's good enough for your helmet. Dish detergent might be a bit harsh for the interior, so avoid that.

Don't overdo it, but don't be cheap with it. If your helmet REALLY smells, then go ahead and put some more.

Step four: Fill with lukewarm water. I have a feeling cold and hot might be a bad idea, stay away from the extremes.

Step five: Rinse to agitate the excessive dust/dirt out, you don't want to dunk it in the CLEAN water and scrub with the same contaminated water.

Step six: NOW dunk it in and douse that mofo in cleanliness.

Get it all up in there.

Step seven: Gently massage the lining so the shampoo works its magic.

Step eight: Rinse out all the shampoo thoroughly.

Step nine: Pat dry the exterior to avoid water spots and let it air dry. If you live someplace humid or extremely hot, you may want to place it in a cool DRY place with a fan blowing it or something. Look at the shine!

Results: A streak/oil/dirt/sweat/odor free helmet.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I HAVE THAT EXACT HELMET!!! mine smells so bad from riding in the rain. I think imma wash my helmet tomorrow. Did you pat the inside dry at all? Or did you just let it dry by itself? Oh and thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I HAVE THAT EXACT HELMET!!! mine smells so bad from riding in the rain. I think imma wash my helmet tomorrow. Did you pat the inside dry at all? Or did you just let it dry by itself? Oh and thanks for the write up.
You can pat it dry with whatever absorbent cloth you have but it's gonna have to sit for a while regardless to drain out all the water, mine fully dried in 15 hours, coulda been less, but I wasn't awake to check it from time to time. The material the lining is made out of is very "wickable" which most manufacturers advertise to promote sales, and it dries a lot quicker compared to other materials.

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
^^^Disturbing. And I tried your method of cleaning on the helmet I got with the bike. It's from 1997 and smelled like 12 years of hippy hair. I had to wash it 5 times before the water stopped being black but she smell great now:D:D

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
^^^Disturbing. And I tried your method of cleaning on the helmet I got with the bike. It's from 1997 and smelled like 12 years of hippy hair. I had to wash it 5 times before the water stopped being black but she smell great now:D:D
Please tell me you discontinued the use of that helmet...

But considering it's 12 years old, 5 washes sounds pretty decent.
Glad it worked for you!

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
Yeah, my "5 year anneversary cleaning" consists of cutting the chin strap and pouring gasoline in the shell to destroy the liner and foam. A helmet being used for 12 years isnt dependable. But at least you're wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
No I don't wear it. Things color matched to the bike and it just feels gay to wear it. I only have it for the girlfriend. Anyone under 21 in Florida need a helmet whether they are the drive or passenger. So it just keeps me outta trouble on the rare chance she does go with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any tips on cleaning the face shield? Everything I've tried has caused my smoked shield to start peeling :(. Right now I'm just dealing with a month's worth of bugs and dirt on it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any tips on cleaning the face shield? Everything I've tried has caused my smoked shield to start peeling :(. Right now I'm just dealing with a month's worth of bugs and dirt on it.
If that's the case, then there might be 2 problems.
1. the chemicals you're using are too harsh/abrasive.
2. your shield could be defective.

I use dish detergent on my shield and bug/grime/oil comes off easily. What type(brand) of shield are you using out of curiosity?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wait wait wait.... you don't have to wear a helmet at all time in Florida? WTF is that.

No I don't wear it. Things color matched to the bike and it just feels gay to wear it. I only have it for the girlfriend. Anyone under 21 in Florida need a helmet whether they are the drive or passenger. So it just keeps me outta trouble on the rare chance she does go with.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I remember Bruce Porter (Arai) said himself to wash the facesheild with nothing more than water otherwise whatever you used could damage the coatings. Just get a bucket of water and let it soak in there then wipe off with a towel/microfiber. That's how I've been cleaning my facesheilds (shoei mirrorized, arai dark smoke, and both clear lenses).

Just did this method and it works great! Now I can put my helmet on and smell my pantene pro v shampoo....mmmm smells good!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts