Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to get my bike below 33bhp just for a year and these restrictor kits are well expensive like £150 to buy and install and apparenty need to be put in by a dealer. anyway i was wondering if there is a way to get my 1998 zx6r to sub 33bhp say with a throttle restrictor of if any one has a pic of the restrictor and then i could make some or some think.

thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
471 Posts
Im confused as to why you wont 33 bhp out of a 100hp bike? Is there something im missing in the picture?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wouldnt even drive it. IT wouldnt be able to get out of it's own way.

get a rev limiter for like 5000 rpm?

·
Registered
181 Posts
hehe..pull two spark plug coils off and dont put em back on.....lossen the spark plugs so they dont give compression and wont flood the engin..that much....then retard the timming soo damn much that its to the point beyond beleaf...and there ya go...u got urself a lawn mower..bahahahaha..im not even gona ask why u wana do that..and i wouldnt do what i said to the engin cuz itll prolly fuck it up..lol..or use a dirt bike??...????

·
Registered
471 Posts
i say do the opposite, make so much power that not stopping for the cops will be easier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if u are under 21 in the uk you have to do a restricted licence of 33bhp or 25 kws for two years and then you can ride wot u want it is cheaper to buy a bigger bike and restrict then to buy a small bike and go through the hassle of selling it afterwards

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
well for one thing, your in england, youve got so many cool options for low powered starter bikes. what about the 125cc bikes? aprilia rs 125, the cbr125r? or the ninja 250r. i doubt you will have trouble selling a starter bike, there are always new riders out there, and the laws for bike restriction are in your favor.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ahhh thanks rusty, it does make logical sense. Still sucks though...

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
dyno it, thats how they would know, or just basically take the plugs out of 2 cylinders for the dyno test, then make it regular again for when you ride lol
Ben

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
the problem with the restrictions in the uk is that pc plod doesnt need a dyno to confirm you have the restrictions you have to have a certificate to prove that you have. If you do not have this proof then its an immediate 6 points which if you have had your license for less than 2 years is also a ban from driving/riding and may also need for you to retake a driving/riding test when you get your license back a year later.

In answer to your question rusty, as much as its a pain in the arse going to a dealer its the only sure fire way of conforming to the law as they will issue a cert for you to give your insurance company as well as a backup if you get nicked. Once you have it restricted and have the cert you could always take the chance of unrestricting it and still have all the paperwork to prove it.

In regards to which kit, there are 2 that i know of, one is the throttle kit which basically replaces the plastic spindle that the throttle cables go into so it cant be moved more than a certain amount (its a major pain in the arse but its effective) and the other are like washers that go into the carbs and stop them opening up past a certain amount so you cant take in more fuel/air to make it go faster (this is easy enough to remove).

speak to your local dealer and find out what kit they are likely to use and then try and find more info out online about them.

Russ

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would probably just put socks in the intakes....ok prob not but sorry to hear you have to restrict your bike. here you can buy a busa or zx14 when you are 16 and it wouldnt even raise an eye brow for having to much power for the age, experience.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by crazytexan
I would probably just put socks in the intakes....ok prob not but sorry to hear you have to restrict your bike. here you can buy a busa or zx14 when you are 16 and it wouldnt even raise an eye brow for having to much power for the age, experience.
yea but i think thats sorta good...cuz ova there ur starten off small cuz u have hardly any experiance..and the law restricts u...so it makes it easyer to build up confidence and all that other good stuff...but over here the dealer (im not sayen all of em..but there are some out there)jus want to make a sale and see a 16 year old kid walk in and u can tell they have no experiance what so ever(might as well stamp a no exp sighn on his forhead)no licence or ins...and point to a busa or 14 and say i want that one mom/dad....the mom and dad say ok the dealer says ok cuz momy and dady is there and three months layter the kid is dead...i see that type of sale happen wid the 1000cc bikes all the time round here...i dont even bother to ask if theyre still alive or not tho or even if the bike works still....but yea...thats jus my point of view..

·
Registered
939 Posts
i would say start with a ninja 250r. they hold their value, if you fuck it up atleast its not something nice. and i would hate to fuck up a bigger bike trying to restrict it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Originally posted by DanielsZZr6

yea but i think thats sorta good...cuz ova there ur starten off small cuz u have hardly any experiance..and the law restricts u...so it makes it easyer to build up confidence and all that other good stuff...but over here the dealer (im not sayen all of em..but there are some out there)jus want to make a sale and see a 16 year old kid walk in and u can tell they have no experiance what so ever(might as well stamp a no exp sighn on his forhead)no licence or ins...and point to a busa or 14 and say i want that one mom/dad....the mom and dad say ok the dealer says ok cuz momy and dady is there and three months layter the kid is dead...i see that type of sale happen wid the 1000cc bikes all the time round here...i dont even bother to ask if theyre still alive or not tho or even if the bike works still....but yea...thats jus my point of view..
true, I was just meaning how different it is from us. I am not promoting people to buy a busa as a first bike though. I bet there are alot less squids over there as opposed to here!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by crazytexan

true, I was just meaning how different it is from us. I am not promoting people to buy a busa as a first bike though. I bet there are alot less squids over there as opposed to here!
yea or at least way more experianced and smarter squids...wich kinda defeats the porpose of callen them a squid hahahaha

·
Registered
574 Posts
I know this thread is long dead but living in a country that also has 34 bhp laws its damn funny for one brit to ask a question then have only one other european answer and a dozen americans give answers suggesting DIY solutions, i can't help but post.

First of all the "ninja 250r" or the gpz250 as it was originally called hasnt existed in eruope since....since....heck i cant remember that far back but its almost impossible to find one that works in europe, the closest one might find is a Kawasaki Ninja ZXR250, which has an in-line 4 that produced 45 bhp, so not much luck there.

Next of all bikes like the cagiva mito and rs125 which are almost 34bhp when de-restricted are nothing in comparison to a 600cc bike when restricted down, a large majority of the torque from a 600cc engine stays and the power is lost in mainly the top end.

having ridden 34 bhp 600's before i can tell you this, you lose 2-3 seconds on your 0-60 times and your top speed will hover in the 100-110 range, more than enough for one's first bike; performance that is very similar to 125cc two strokes, except that your acceleration at higher speed is excellent, and when riding fast, you are less annoying, you look and sound nicer to passer by's, and the bike doesnt feel like it could easily explode or go air-borne over 80mph.

With kawasaki theres two options they offer: First is a kit that blocks the throttle spindle which is usually in FI models and second is for older bikes whereby the restricting rings and spacers are installed in the carburettors. The kits are usually done very well and the restriction is not immediately evident, throttle response, power delivery and fuel consumption are quite good. Also restriction has to be done officially otherwise any squid could shove socks in their airbox, go do an inspection then chuck them in the wash and then head off to have a big accident down the road.

Overall its great because the squid population gets kept under control (they are just the 16 year olds on 50cc scooters and "bikes" who simply disappear when they turn 18 and buy a car) plus buying an old zx-6r ninja and restricting it is kinder to the wallet in longterm and possibly short term too. Another advantage is you learn how to handle a big bike's weight, handling and braking before you can get carried away with 110 bhp.

p.s. the cbr125 is lame to the nth degree whereby n is a very large number inversely propertional to the size of the useless bicycle tyre honda calls the rear wheel, plus its a mono-4stroke so you get 13 bhp, it was created to make money for honda, period.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts