Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure where to post this, but when i enter a corner i always find myself "hugging" the double yellow...why?

·
Registered
875 Posts
On right turns, left turns or both? Are you looking through the turn? It may help if you look further through the turn, and try to decide on a line as early as possible. Keep you head up and don't focus on the line.

Of course on the street leave some room for adjustments to you line as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
875 Posts
going left you have a wider radius than right on the same turn, so at the same speed you will need less lean. You can also see through farther through the turn. This should give you a decent view to pick out a line through the turn.

I think what might help the most would be to pick a good line and start your turn in later. That way you are further away from the center line when you start, you will spend less time at full lean throughout the turn, and you can pick and commit to a line before you take it.

And be careful on lefts getting close to the line... you don't want your head hanging into the other lane on a tight road when a car is coming.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Mad Mike
going left you have a wider radius than right on the same turn, so at the same speed you will need less lean. You can also see through farther through the turn. This should give you a decent view to pick out a line through the turn.

I think what might help the most would be to pick a good line and start your turn in later. That way you are further away from the center line when you start, you will spend less time at full lean throughout the turn, and you can pick and commit to a line before you take it.

thanks for the info man. ill be careful :) ill see if i can hold a line better
And be careful on lefts getting close to the line... you don't want your head hanging into the other lane on a tight road when a car is coming.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Mike
going left you have a wider radius than right on the same turn, so at the same speed you will need less lean.
As a Highway Engineer............I can assure you that the radius is identical on the inside or the outside of a curve. But if you start on the outside of a curve and clip the apex of the inside of the curve you can ride a larger radius........I would call this a classic race line...........wide to tight to wide.

Now the length of the curve is different depending on what direction you are heading...........I know, I know.......get back to work.........I am being nit picky.

:D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Originally posted by gypsyracing

As a Highway Engineer............I can assure you that the radius is identical on the inside or the outside of a curve. But if you start on the outside of a curve and clip the apex of the inside of the curve you can ride a larger radius........I would call this a classic race line...........wide to tight to wide.

Now the length of the curve is different depending on what direction you are heading...........I know, I know.......get back to work.........I am being nit picky.

:D
heh heh... yea, you know what I meant, I just didn't say what I meant:D

[:Repost]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Usually you get closer to the inside because you let off of the gas. Look through the turn and if you feel ourself going wide drag the rear brake. It will tighten your line. Do not stomp the rear brake.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The throttle is your friend, don't be afraid to use it and never roll completely off and coast. A good steady throttle will keep you chassis settled for the corner until your ready for the roll on at the exit.

It sounds like you are trying to take a race line and getting yourself on the line. Look through the corner to the exit if possible, then pick you line. Pick a line that will keep you well inside the line (your head too). By looking all the way through the corner you can pick a line that will do this. If you can't see all the way through the corner you need to adjust your speed for the line of sight.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Turning naturally scrubs off speed so a bike will inherently "pull" inward on a corner without enough throttle. You need to apply some light throttle and then accelerate. Keith Code breaks a corner into four parts...speed adjust, coast, maintenance throttle and acceleration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.