Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
221 - 240 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Hello one and all. Sadly I have not been able to get my Ninja 650 yet. That will hopefully change soon. My question on here is some what two fold and more personal opinion then anything else. My Personal taste is. Love blue. However the new 2015 650's do not come in blue, the black 2015 650 has green accents with the decals and the the color of the spring on the rear shock absorber. So here are my inquires. Do you think having blue halo eyes with the blue corner LED lights with look good over all with the green accents the bike has. If not how hard would it be to paint the spring blue and find decals similar to what is on there except with the blue accent on the details. Or should I just suck it up and go with the green halo eyes and green corner LED lights? I have attached I photo of the color I am wanting to get. Like I said I know it is more personal preference I would like to here peoples thoughts. Thanks a lot.

View attachment 107770

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
If you like blue, i think it will look fine, the green decals are so small, that your bike is pretty much all black.

Quick question. Would having Blue Halo Eyes and Blue LED corner lights but the 6000k bulbs. Would that be an illegal light configuration on the street? Just came across a post somewhere and it never even occurred to me that it may be illegal. At night it would be unlikely anyone would even be able to see them beyond my HIDs anyway. Just curious thanks. By the way I live in CA

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Blue and red colors are not legal for street use, only while parked for show. if you go with blue halos, i would put them on a switch and do not turn them on while riding.

green color is a grey area, there is nothing that specifically states that green is not legal. so green color halos are mostly ok.

white and amber are the only two 100% legal colors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Borka, I've been looking into the kit for a few years now, just a few quick questions. Could the regular kit be mounted with front and rear angel eyes and demon eyes? Rear angel eyes weren't an option but I'm seeing them on other kits, but I figured space was small in there to begin with so it might not be. How extensive are the mods to the housing for the mini h1? Is the extra light output worth it? How much brighter are the 55w kits, especially the h1?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Jerspeer,

The Kelvin numbers only relate to the color of the light, not the amount of light. "daylight" is roughly 4500k. Anything below that moves towards the red end of the light spectrum. Anything higher moves towards the blue end. 4300 or 6000 is a personal preference of color.

The output, or amount of light, created by any lamp is measured in lumens. The lumen ouput can be found on the lamp package.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Borka, I've been looking into the kit for a few years now, just a few quick questions. Could the regular kit be mounted with front and rear angel eyes and demon eyes? Rear angel eyes weren't an option but I'm seeing them on other kits, but I figured space was small in there to begin with so it might not be. How extensive are the mods to the housing for the mini h1? Is the extra light output worth it? How much brighter are the 55w kits, especially the h1?
And I also forgot, what has the best light output in your opinion, 4300 or 6k
we can do dual halos on 2012+ 650R bikes, those have bigger redesigned headlights.

09-11 headlights are smaller, so the bigger halos do not fit.

Mini h1 projectors have a little wider light spread, and a little more light, but not much more. both are very bright. and with 35w its a great improvement over stock, and with 55w its super bright.

the brightest bulb is 4300k, but it has a yellowish tint to it, some people dont like it and go with 6000k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Borka and others,

Where would be a good idea to attach the ballast and the inverters for the halos onto once everything has been connected? I have the Dual Halo kit. Also, are people running the wires underneath the tank (by removing the tank first?) or a long side the bike.

My model is Er6f (650r) 2013.

Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Hi Borka and others,

Where would be a good idea to attach the ballast and the inverters for the halos onto once everything has been connected? I have the Dual Halo kit. Also, are people running the wires underneath the tank (by removing the tank first?) or a long side the bike.

My model is Er6f (650r) 2013.

Thanks
Sorry but i cant tell you where to mount everything on the bike, as we only build headlights, we dont have the actual bikes here...

but just search "650r hid install" and you will see where people mount their ballasts.

any idea how to wire the High and Low beams with the 55W output option
wire same as this tutorial, 35w and 55w wires exactly the same.

if you need specific help with wiring our kit, feel free to call or email.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any chance of a group buy/discount any time soon? Need to buy two sets for me and my wife.

Awesome write up-cant wait to get mine done!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Any chance of a group buy/discount any time soon? Need to buy two sets for me and my wife.

Awesome write up-cant wait to get mine done!
send me an email, i can give you a discount for multiple piece order. [email protected]

i think thats how it should go ... hopefully i dnt fry my harness
this is completely wrong.

dont use the white wires on the H4 3pin plugs.

and the 2 blue wires are not joined, one is low beam and one is high beam wire. look at the diagram again

Reactions: griznkush

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey. So i bought my set last year and im getting ready to install on my 2012 ninja 650. Do you have a link to the updated steps when using switches? I have hids, halos, and demon eyes with 2 switches. Thankyou

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey. So i bought my set last year and im getting ready to install on my 2012 ninja 650. Do you have a link to the updated steps when using switches? I have hids, halos, and demon eyes with 2 switches. Thankyou
You may need to document the steps and put together a guide for future customers. Bkmoto only puts kits together (buys them in bulk, modifies them if necessary, and packages them). It's a 1-person company and he doesn't get his hands on every bike to do a personal install. He only provides generic instructions unless customers have documented their install and put together a guide for him to give to others.

Since he is non-responsive to warranty requests, I have had to find my own sources of replacement parts (the first part that failed cost less than $6 and failed in less than 1 year, yet he ignored my request for warranty). I have pretty much found where he purchased most of the parts for my kit (the original kit used in the guide), and will be piecing together my own kits when I buy more motorcycles in the future.

Anyway, I don't think the steps have changed much. If you have questions, please feel free to ask and we'll try to figure it out with you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You may need to document the steps and put together a guide for future customers. Bkmoto only puts kits together (buys them in bulk, modifies them if necessary, and packages them). It's a 1-person company and he doesn't get his hands on every bike to do a personal install. He only provides generic instructions unless customers have documented their install and put together a guide for him to give to others.

Since he is non-responsive to warranty requests, I have had to find my own sources of replacement parts (the first part that failed cost less than $6 and failed in less than 1 year, yet he ignored my request for warranty). I have pretty much found where he purchased most of the parts for my kit (the original kit used in the guide), and will be piecing together my own kits when I buy more motorcycles in the future.

Anyway, I don't think the steps have changed much. If you have questions, please feel free to ask and we'll try to figure it out with you.
yeah im not very good with electrical systems and all the switches, but I just want to make sure I wire it the way im gonna want it to show and not have my hids running all the time, if anyone is in Michigan and wants to help me out I have cold beer and theres a jets down the street lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I wired mine up and my halos come on but hids dont...anyone know what I might have done wrong?
I can't PM you back since I don't have enough posts here. Below is what I wrote.

Did you wire in switches? Do neither of the HIDs turn on? Are the fuses okay and all of the wires connected securely? Did you connect them correctly to the headlight harnesses, or perhaps plugged the low-beam and high-beam plugs back (low beam on the left side, high beam on the right side....try turning your high beams on to see if they power the hids).

Since you're not good at electrical systems, I will explain the basics of what happens when you turn the system on (for one side of the bike). I will then explain what to look for.

Looking at:

1. The bottom-right red wire with the black thing is the fuse. This is connected to the battery and leads to that black box in the center-bottom of the picture. That box is the relay wiring harness that basically gets the power to go where it needs to go.
2. The wire that leads out of it on the bottom heads to the ballast. When the relay harness gets the "signal" from your bike that the headlights should be on, it sends power down this wire to the ballast. Once the ballast (not pictured) is powered, it then powers up the HIDs.
3. When the relay gets the "signal" from the bike that the high-beams should be on, it sends power to the high/low projector control wire. This wire powers a magnet which then moves the shield so that the upper part of the HID beam output will be un-shielded and able to shine on the road.
4. The remaining wires coming out of the relay harness is the white wire for low-beams and the blue wire for high-beams. These are basically the signal wires. When the bike is trying to power the headlights, it will energize these wires, which in turn will tell the relay harness to power the ballast or the magnets for high-beam.

To troubleshoot your problem, try the following:
- First check the simple stuff, like the fuses and making sure all of the wires have a good connection. Also, you may want to test the lights with your bike turned on. When doing my install, I did manage to drain the battery.
- Make sure you wired the low-beams and high-beam wires correctly. The white wire from both relay harnesses should connect to the blue "low beam +" wire of the low-beam plug. The blue wire from both relay harnesses should be connected to the blue "high beam +" wire of the high beam plug. This way, when the low-beams are supposed to be on, the bike will send power to both white wires and power up both ballasts. You may want to try using your high beams to see if you wired them incorrectly, or perhaps you plugged the low-beam plug in the high-beam socket and vice-versa. (Low-beam plug was plugged in the left-side of the bike, and high-beam plug is on the right side of the bike.)
- If the wires are all connected correctly, you may have defective parts. I have had the relay harness burn out on me twice and one ballast burn out on me. Bkmoto wouldn't replace the $6 relay harness so I replaced everything with parts I sourced elsewhere. Try switching the ballast plugs so that the relay harness for the left side powers the right HID, and vice versa. If one side works, then you know that either the ballast or the relay harness on the other circuit is defective. If neither work, it could be your HID lights (I replaced one of them thinking that it burned out, before tracking down the problem to the relay harness and ballast).

221 - 240 of 264 Posts