Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
241 - 260 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am looking to get one of these kits. I have a 2013 Ninja 650. Is this what you guys ordered?

BiXenon Projector kit with angel eyes halo MC-MH1

It's the universal kit. I could not find my specific model anywhere on the list. The instructions provided are awesome on the previous posts, so i'd like to purchase as close product to what was originally posted. Thanks!
I have a 2013 Ninja 650. You would probably want to get 2009 - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650 650R 1000 ER-6f Z1000SX HID BiXenon Projector kit with angel eyes halo. If I recall, he said that our headlights have enough space to have dual halos (I think). If so, you may want to consider that (just to be different from those of us who were early adopters). Also, the led strips are nice, but mine didn't stay stuck inside too well and started curling up at the end. One of these days I will try to yank them out, but it's something that would be good to know going in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
HOW-TO: Install BKMOTO BiXenon HID projectors with angel eyes halos 2008+ Nin...

I have a 2013 Ninja 650. You would probably want to get 2009 - 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650 650R 1000 ER-6f Z1000SX HID BiXenon Projector kit with angel eyes halo. If I recall, he said that our headlights have enough space to have dual halos (I think). If so, you may want to consider that (just to be different from those of us who were early adopters). Also, the led strips are nice, but mine didn't stay stuck inside too well and started curling up at the end. One of these days I will try to yank them out, but it's something that would be good to know going in.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I shot an email over to the support team at bkmoto and they verified that those would work. I'm going to order them soon. They look sick man. I can't wait to get my hands on them. I have thought about the led strips too. That would look nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't PM you back since I don't have enough posts here. Below is what I wrote.

Did you wire in switches? Do neither of the HIDs turn on? Are the fuses okay and all of the wires connected securely? Did you connect them correctly to the headlight harnesses, or perhaps plugged the low-beam and high-beam plugs back (low beam on the left side, high beam on the right side....try turning your high beams on to see if they power the hids).

Since you're not good at electrical systems, I will explain the basics of what happens when you turn the system on (for one side of the bike). I will then explain what to look for.

Looking at:

1. The bottom-right red wire with the black thing is the fuse. This is connected to the battery and leads to that black box in the center-bottom of the picture. That box is the relay wiring harness that basically gets the power to go where it needs to go.
2. The wire that leads out of it on the bottom heads to the ballast. When the relay harness gets the "signal" from your bike that the headlights should be on, it sends power down this wire to the ballast. Once the ballast (not pictured) is powered, it then powers up the HIDs.
3. When the relay gets the "signal" from the bike that the high-beams should be on, it sends power to the high/low projector control wire. This wire powers a magnet which then moves the shield so that the upper part of the HID beam output will be un-shielded and able to shine on the road.
4. The remaining wires coming out of the relay harness is the white wire for low-beams and the blue wire for high-beams. These are basically the signal wires. When the bike is trying to power the headlights, it will energize these wires, which in turn will tell the relay harness to power the ballast or the magnets for high-beam.

To troubleshoot your problem, try the following:
- First check the simple stuff, like the fuses and making sure all of the wires have a good connection. Also, you may want to test the lights with your bike turned on. When doing my install, I did manage to drain the battery.
- Make sure you wired the low-beams and high-beam wires correctly. The white wire from both relay harnesses should connect to the blue "low beam +" wire of the low-beam plug. The blue wire from both relay harnesses should be connected to the blue "high beam +" wire of the high beam plug. This way, when the low-beams are supposed to be on, the bike will send power to both white wires and power up both ballasts. You may want to try using your high beams to see if you wired them incorrectly, or perhaps you plugged the low-beam plug in the high-beam socket and vice-versa. (Low-beam plug was plugged in the left-side of the bike, and high-beam plug is on the right side of the bike.)
- If the wires are all connected correctly, you may have defective parts. I have had the relay harness burn out on me twice and one ballast burn out on me. Bkmoto wouldn't replace the $6 relay harness so I replaced everything with parts I sourced elsewhere. Try switching the ballast plugs so that the relay harness for the left side powers the right HID, and vice versa. If one side works, then you know that either the ballast or the relay harness on the other circuit is defective. If neither work, it could be your HID lights (I replaced one of them thinking that it burned out, before tracking down the problem to the relay harness and ballast).
yeah I don't know if I got the wrong harness or whatever, but mine is different than the one they have pictured. mine only has one set of wires to connect those pigtails that plug into the h11 bulb, not two and I wired my white to the low and blue to the high so idk what I did wrong but the halo and demon eyes come on but no hid

·
Registered
30 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah I don't know if I got the wrong harness or whatever, but mine is different than the one they have pictured. mine only has one set of wires to connect those pigtails that plug into the h11 bulb, not two and I wired my white to the low and blue to the high so idk what I did wrong but the halo and demon eyes come on but no hid
In my search for replacement parts, I came across different types of wiring harnesses. A couple that I tried didn't have high-beam projector controls. Does the wiring harness only come with connections for ballasts, plugs, and the battery? Are there any other extra wires or differences? I'm trying to picture which harness you got.

But after digging around ebay, it's funny that I was able to find the exact projectors in China for $80 per.[/url]
That's all Bkmoto does: he's a 1-man shop that sources parts and puts them together like a kit. I was able to find the relay harness and ballasts. Bkmoto has a distributor and probably gets bulk pricing, though, so his profit margin is probably bigger than the price difference when we put our own kits together. The only good thing about getting a kit from him is that he's done most of the work for you, but sometimes I think it would have been better to source my own parts. For example, it takes a while to find replacement parts that are exactly like the ones I received. It is so much easier to find other parts that would work had I received a more common bulb or projector housing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a video on you tube where he does the retrofit on a Ninja 300. It will hopefully point you in the right direction. Sounds like just a crossed a connection somewhere. Watch from 1:18:00-end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJAnoOqe8og

But after digging around ebay, it's funny that I was able to find the exact projectors in China for $80 per.

http://www.kawiforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121066&thumb=1

Did they end up working out though, that is, the ones you found on eBay?

·
Registered
30 Posts
All I care about is the projectors, anything else can be replaced. If any of the wiring fails, use a multi meter to diagnose and go to radio shack. This isn't like wiring up the space shuttle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's one of the kits I was looking at on ebay. The only main difference is the bk moto comes with 2 relay/wiring harnesses, and that only has the one. Just order 2 of the single kits (roughly the same price) then use a multi meter to double check the + and - wires coming out of the harness. One more double check of the headlight pigtails and you're laughing. No matter what anyone says on here, wear LATEX GLOVES when handling the bulbs. One smudge from your finger and the bulb is compromised. I would also wire in a switch for the HIDs. These lights don't like being turned on and off quickly (starting the bike), which may be a reason some are failing quick. Start the bike, flick the switch and ride :D

Time to go watch the snow melt :|

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the information. Why would they sell only one wiring harness for two separate lights? I'm guessing it would work with just one, because if not they probably wouldn't be selling it like that. So you're saying it's better to have two?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would also wire in a switch for the HIDs. These lights don't like being turned on and off quickly (starting the bike), which may be a reason some are failing quick. Start the bike, flick the switch and ride
Some wiring harnesses have a delay set in them. It's a good thing that the Ninja 650 doesn't (or at least my generation...I don't know about the older generations). With my Ninja 650, the headlights don't turn on until the engine is started...unlike other bikes that turn on the headlight as soon as you turn the switch so that the bikes have to deal with the draw from the headlights while they start. I do have mine switched so that I can ride with just halos or with the demon eyes (although they are so dim I can't even see them), but I never turn the HID switches off prior to starting the bike. The switches stay on unless I want to turn them off while riding.

Thanks for the information. Why would they sell only one wiring harness for two separate lights? I'm guessing it would work with just one, because if not they probably wouldn't be selling it like that. So you're saying it's better to have two?
It depends on your application. Some bikes only have one headlight bulb that does both low-beams and high-beams. The Ninja 650 happens to have separate bulbs with one serving as low-beam and the other as high-beam.

The single-relay kits are for bikes with either one bulb, or for people with two headlight bulbs but only wanting to convert one of the bulbs. After all, not everyone is fond of having both lights on at once.

You can buy two single kits: one is a full set (bulb, ballast, wiring harness, etc.) for the left-side bulb and the other is a full set for the right-side bulb. That's the kit that I got from bkmoto. You can also buy the kits that use one relay harness for both bulbs.

Each type of kit has their own pros and cons. Having a relay harness that powers both headlights is nice in that you have less things to mount (I mount one harness on top of the other to try and save space). I would recommend getting the single kits that has a harness powering only one side. Trust me, one of my harnesses blew up on me. Only one headlight bulb was put out of commission while the other remained on. I was able to continue riding my bike until I found a replacement harness (took me a long time to find a good replacement and then have it shipped to me from overseas). Had I only had one harness powering both sides, it would have taken out both headlights and I would be stranded at night. It's more safe to have both headlights operate independently of each other. If you do get a kit that has a harness that powers both sides, you may want to get a single harness and wire it in parallel with the dual-harness. That way if it conks out while you're away from home and it's getting dark, you can swap the plugs and bring at least one headlight back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The relay harness is what switches the beam from low to high and vice versa, right? I'm wondering how you guys have your electrical connected. I think what I would want to do is to have a main, aftermarket switch that turns the lights on and off. Then the stock low beam/high beam switch could be used for actually dimming both headlights. I definitely want both of them on, not just one. So how did you guys go about doing that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The relay harness is what switches the beam from low to high and vice versa, right? I'm wondering how you guys have your electrical connected. I think what I would want to do is to have a main, aftermarket switch that turns the lights on and off. Then the stock low beam/high beam switch could be used for actually dimming both headlights. I definitely want both of them on, not just one. So how did you guys go about doing that?
Not exactly. The relay wiring harness is just that...a wiring harness that has a relay in it. The wiring harness is composed of the wires that channel power from the battery to the ballast, high-beam projector control, etc. A relay is an electrical component that is activated by a signal or current which will then open or close a circuit. If your bike sends the signal that the headlight should be on, the relay harness then energizes the wires leading to the ballast and thereby powers it on. If your bike sends the signal that high beams should be on, it will energize the wires leading to the magnets that will then move the shield.

So yes, in the setup I mentioned previously, the relay harnesses do switch the lights from low to high, and vice versa. They also power the ballasts so that the light can light up in the first place. Kill the relay harness and you basically disconnect the whole system from the battery. The ballast won't power on and the the high-beam projector control will stay in its default position.

If you follow the setup that I described earlier, you will then have a setup like mine. Both of my lights turn on at once. They both go high-beam when I toggle the factory switch to high-beams, and they also turn on when I hit the "pass to flash" switch by the left handlebar grip. That's why the setup has the white wires and blue wires from both relay harnesses connected to the bike's low-beam and high-beam plugs. When the bike asks for low-beams, the signal is sent to both relay harnesses and they then power on their respective ballasts. When the bike asks for high-beams, the signal is sent to both relay harnesses so then they both activate the high-beam projector control.

If you want a switch to turn off the HIDs, put it in-between the low-beam plug and the relay harnesses as seen here:

When that switch above is on, the system works normally. If you turn the switch off, the relay harnesses never get the low-beam signal from the bike so they leave the ballasts powered off.

·
Registered
39 Posts

the one harness works, it was just hard to follow the diagram being different than what youre looking at in front of you. I finally got mine all hooked up and they are filthy(in the best way possible). halo/demon eyes whenever bike is running and optional hid when it gets dark with that switch. takes some time and effort, but personally I think its more satisfying to do it yourself

·
Registered
29 Posts
the one harness works, it was just hard to follow the diagram being different than what youre looking at in front of you. I finally got mine all hooked up and they are filthy(in the best way possible). halo/demon eyes whenever bike is running and optional hid when it gets dark with that switch. takes some time and effort, but personally I think its more satisfying to do it yourself

Where did you purchase yours?

·
Registered
39 Posts
okay so I went through this post again and I know ive seen it before but I couldn't find it....what size hole do you need to drill for the switch?

·
Registered
59 Posts
borka, are you still around? One of the bulbs for my BKMOTO projector kit went out awhile back and I'm just now getting to fixing it. It's unclear what type of replacement bulb I need.

241 - 260 of 264 Posts