Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a pretty easy install that took me all of about 10 or 15 minutes. I bought the tire hugger from the seller Scotts870 heres a link to his ebay profile http://myworld.ebay.com/scotts870?&ssPageName=ADME:X:CEM:MOTORS:1181
It doesn't appear that he has any tire huggers for sale right now but I know he was planning on making some more of them.

Tools needed:
the biggest allen wrench from the bike's toolkit
10 mm wrench from the bike's toolkit

Step 1:

Remove the left passenger rear footpeg bracket using the largest allen wrench from the bike's toolkit. There are two allen head screws holding it on.

Step 2:

Remove the front screw on the chain guard using the 10mm wrench from the bike's toolkit.

Step 3:

Do a trial fit of the hugger to make sure everything looks right before you affix it with the tape.

Step 4:

Use the alcohol towel supplied to clean off the area of the swingarm where the hugger will be taped down.

Step 5:

Remove the backing on the tape and attach the hugger to the swing arm. Make sure you have the hole on the side of the hugger lined up with the hole on the chain guard where the 10mm bolt goes. (Note: the unfinished versions of the hugger aren't going to have the tape installed on them)

Step 6:

Put the 10mm bolt back on the chainguard and reinstall the left passenger footpeg bracket.

Here are a few pictures of what the bike looks like with the hugger.

Here is a close-up of it from the right side.

Here is a close shot from behind.

It doesn't change the look of the bike too much but I'm hoping it will keep the tail area alot cleaner.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Looks good!

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Talk about hard core! You have the guard waiting for you in Texas and not only do you toss it on in a parking garage, but you took pics and did a DIY. On the way back are you going to adjust your valves in Ohio and DIY that to? LOL :evil6:

Good pictures and write-up ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Looks good, although I would prefer a flat black to match the black underneath the tail.

How much does it weigh??

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Great post. I love where you did your work, no parking area. You'll need another new tire by the time you get back.

·
Registered
298 Posts
looks great, but i don't think its going to protect the undertail section too much from dirt...guess you will have to let us know how well it works.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice write up, +1.

Were you thinking of painting the hugger kawi green? I think that would look great.
I was thinking about that but depending on how clean the hugger keeps the undertail I may have some other plans where a green hugger would just be overkill.

Talk about hard core! You have the guard waiting for you in Texas and not only do you toss it on in a parking garage, but you took pics and did a DIY. On the way back are you going to adjust your valves in Ohio and DIY that to? LOL :evil6:

Good pictures and write-up ;)
Lol, thanks, I'm going to need to have my valves adjusted much sooner than that, I'm going to more than likely take the bike in for the 7500 mile service in either Tucson or Phoenix.

Nice writeup.

When was the last time you cleaned or lubed your chain?
I changet the oil and lubed the chain yesterday.

Is that a brand new tire? You still have all the little "whiskers" on it.
I had a brand new tire put on it on Thursday.

looks great, but i don't think its going to protect the undertail section too much from dirt...guess you will have to let us know how well it works.
I havent hit too many puddles yet but so far I have noticed that it is staying cleaner under there.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good, although I would prefer a flat black to match the black underneath the tail.

How much does it weigh??
It couldn't have weighed more than a pound it was very light.

Great post. I love where you did your work, no parking area. You'll need another new tire by the time you get back.
Thanks! while I've been here in houston that has been my parking spot/workspace. I know, I'm glad I bought a road hazard warranty ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This rear hugger won't fit with 150's series tire will it?
I dont think so, there realli isn't too much room.

Looks real good...Make sure you come out ride tomorrow so I can drool over it. :)
Sorry I couldn't make it today, the street races didn't start until almost 1 am last night and I was meeting a friend of mine up there that I hadn't seen in a few years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It couldn't have weighed more than a pound it was very light.

Thanks! while I've been here in houston that has been my parking spot/workspace. I know, I'm glad I bought a road hazard warranty ;)
why didn't i think of that?! i somehow managed to get a nail in that skinny ass rear tire driving in houston. o well got me a 140 now, and its so much better.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I heard that he isn't selling them anymore. Or something. Not real sure.

·
Registered
138 Posts
He is still making them. I just bought one yesterday and it has already shipped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
tyre hugger

i am just wondering how to find this item on ebay because i have search hi and low and cannot seem to find it anywhere

could some one please give me the item number

regards,
kieran

1 - 20 of 79 Posts