Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I did this mod on my 07 ZZR and posted it and had a few people ask me how I did it. This is my first " How To " so I hope this is helpfull.

I will start by stating that this is written with the assumption that you have basic skills in soldering, drilling, and knowledge about LED's. This mod can also be very time consuming so take your time and plan ahead. I believe in the example I have I had a total of about 3 to 4 hours for the LED install part.

Items you will need:

1. Paggenger footpegs: preferably removed from your bike
2. Drill
3. Sharp set of drill bits
4. Center punch
5. Thick papper, pencil, straight edge with a ruler
6. Soldering iron: one with a small tip is best
7. Solder: the small stuff for doing electronics
8. Thick CA glue: Locktite super glue in the gel form works great
9. Wire
10. The apropriate resistors
11. LEDs
12. Epoxy: I have been buying the stuff that uses a mixing tube
13. Small needle noze pliers
14. Small pair of wire cutters
15. Pocket screwdriver

All the photos are from a set I just completed for a fellow member. Thay are for a ZZR or early ZX6R. Most of the pics were taken with my phone since the wife had the cannon so my apologies.

OK getting started. You need to look at your peg brackets and determine the best place to put your LEDs. You need to take into consideration the space needed to get the LEDs in an do all the soldering. Here are pictures from both sides of the brackets in my example. Notice the large spaces on the back side of the bracket. In this mod I will be installing 3mm LEDs. 14 for brakes facing the rear and 6 on the side for visable signals from the side.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Now that you have figured out how many LEDs you want and were you are going to put them make a template. Take the thick papper and make a pattern. When you make the pattern keep in mind how many resistors and what not you are going to need to fit between it all. You only need one pattern. Once you use the center punch on it you can flip it over and use it on the other side. Now take your pattern and place it in the apropriate area on the bracket. I used wide packing tape to stick the patern to the bracket and hold it in place. The tape covers the whole pattern and extends over the sides to hold it in place. Now use the center punch and punch through the pattern where you are going to drill the holes for your LEDs. After you center punch all the holes take off the same pattern you just used and trim the tape off of the edges. Flip it over and place it on the other bracket. Put the brackets side by side and use the first bracket as a guide to get the same placement on the opposite bracket. Now center punch the bracket again.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that you have center punched your pattern onto the brackets it is time to start drilling. You need to use a sharp drill bit set and start off with the smallest bit. Keep working your way up untill you reach your desired size. By starting small and drilling in incriments your holes are less likely to be out of line. After all of the holes are drilled take a much larger drill bit and using your fingers spin the bit in each hole on the outward side to get a flare at the end. I don't use much pressure and it makes for a very clean look.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Now that all of the drilling is done, if you need to do any painting or polishing ( as I did in my example ) do it now before you install the LEDs. Before you go any further wash the brackets and your hands. When you install the LEDs into the bracket you will use the thick glue to temporary hold the LEDs in while you work. Dirty hands and brackets will keep the glue from holding. The way the LEDs are wired will determine how you go about installing them. With the LEDs I used I have a series parallel circuit. So I have pairs of LEDs ran in series with a resistor on the ground. With the LEDs on the side I was able to glue the LEDs into the bracket and do all the soldering with them in the bracket. For the brake side I placed two LEDs in the holes on the outside and used it as a template to solder them together. I then glued them into the inside of the bracket. Once all the pairs are installed I soldered all of the pairs together. Once you have the all the soldering and wiring done go check your work. Make sure all the LEDs function corectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that everything works its time to pot everything in. Use your epoxy of choice and fill in the backside of the bracket. This will permanently hold in the LEDs, waterproof the electronics, and keep it from vibrating apart. After the epoxy is dried install the footpegs and wire it up! Now admire all of your hard work! This is how mine turned out!

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If after reading this and you would like this mod for your bike but think it might be to much for you to take on then send me a PM. I think I can give you a reasonable price.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
that's actually pretty mean..
Think drilling so many holes in that type of metal the brackets are, is going to weaken it at all? Just thinkin if you anyone on the back that might stand on the pegs, and they give. Do look mean tho. Nice work

·
Registered
493 Posts
Tripage over on the 600RR.net site does this also. gives the bike a super clean look and eliminates the need for bulky turn signals. Good write up.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks of all the compliments. I think Tripage was the best looking I could find on the net. I felt their prices were a bit high for how many LEDs thay install but then again doing this mod would be to much for some people.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Holy shit! You drilled the fuck out of an important part of your bike that needs to support weight! Did you learn that shit from Shervin?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy shit! You drilled the fuck out of an important part of your bike that needs to support weight! Did you learn that shit from Shervin?
Two things... What weight do they support other than feet and what makes you think they are not as strong as stock???

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awesome idea and how-to, but possibly you could have gone into more detail about the wiring, more detailed pics on every step, a wire diagram showing how to solder up all the LED's to the resistor's then to the location on the bikes harness, other than that great job and it looks way clean!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awesome idea and how-to, but possibly you could have gone into more detail about the wiring, more detailed pics on every step, a wire diagram showing how to solder up all the LED's to the resistor's then to the location on the bikes harness, other than that great job and it looks way clean!!!
First off thanks for the compliment! As for more detail about the wiring and wiring diagram for soldering the LEDs... It would be hard to provide that. Bike harness location and wire colors change by make and model and the LED circuits change by the LED specs, number of LEDs and the way YOU chose to do it. This " How To " was written with the assumption that you will aquire the basic skills and knowledge needed to do it. For example do I need to post pictures of how to chuck up a drill bit properly into a drill??? If anyone needs more info or help I am happy to help but including every little detail would have taken forever to write up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
First off thanks for the compliment! As for more detail about the wiring and wiring diagram for soldering the LEDs... It would be hard to provide that. Bike harness location and wire colors change by make and model and the LED circuits change by the LED specs, number of LEDs and the way YOU chose to do it. This " How To " was written with the assumption that you will aquire the basic skills and knowledge needed to do it. For example do I need to post pictures of how to chuck up a drill bit properly into a drill??? If anyone needs more info or help I am happy to help but including every little detail would have taken forever to write up.
No need for pics to chuck a drill bit, lol. Just used to the how-to write ups in my car forum but I know where your coming from. I am familiar with soldering, LED's and resistors...I just never did a cluster of them all soldered together like this. I dont plan on doing this anytime soon to my brand new 650...just a thought to see if you actually had more pics and a LED diagram. of course...I didn't think about every bikes harness being different...slipped my mind, my bad!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts