Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i met some random guy who told me he had a 98zx-6r and had taken off a lot of the emissions crap and lightened the bike up quite a bit. He also said in total the bike lost around 20 pnds or so. Is this possible?

Also i get this clicking sound once in awhile when i stop at slow speeds up near my stearing head. Anyone ever experiance anything like this or know what it might be?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also i get this clicking sound once in awhile when i stop at slow speeds up near my stearing head. Anyone ever experiance anything like this or know what it might be?

I think your steering head bearings need tightening or possibly even replacing

Silver/Black ZX6-R (2000 J1)

"Come on you R's!"

(That's 'Queens Park Rangers', an English football (soccer) club!)

·
Registered
88 Posts
And theres not much emissions crap on my 98. It has a semi cat in the original can but hell droppping the exaust is a major weight loss when you go to aftermarket pipes. Not mcuh else you can do besides cutting fender and loosing lights ect. 3oz's here and 2oz's there. not worth it.

Only emissions stuff in the motor is a pcv systen but thats just a few rubet hoses and one kittle valve. Muzzy does make block off plates to block of the read valves which is part of the pcv system, but not a good weight loss tweak.

Unless it a california model, then save 380 lbs and chuck it. LOL

98 6R. TBR slip-on. No poser add-ons.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah - I can't imagine there's 20 lbs of emissions stuff - to bounce off of what ripTOOL said - if you include the exhaust, then maybe... I swear, the weight loss, and improved handling gained from it, seemed more significant than the horsepower gains when I install the full akra system.

Jizzie - I get that clicking every once in a while as well when stopping at slow speeds. I thought it was my steering head bearings as well, but put it up and it was tight... It almost seems to me to be coming from the brakes themselves - maybe the anti-rattle clips?

Anyway, it never hurts to make sure your steering head bearings are adjusted correctly - they can cause some dangerously funky handling problems when they're out.

Ride safe

·
Registered
147 Posts
i get that clicking too on my 98. it's almost like a low buzz. doesn't happen all the time, and only ever at slower speeds. if anyone has any other ideas what it might be, i would be grateful to hear.

billy m.
1998 ZX6R
WTF is a Gixxer?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was paying closer attention to the noise this weekend and i would have to say its a knocking sound not a clicking. And this knocking sound is driving me crazy. I just had new steering head bearing put in; so i doubt that is the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just had my '98 serviced and told them of the same clicking noise you're hearing. It did turn out to be loose head bearings and the problem is now solved.
As for weight loss, the first logical step is to junk the heavy and restrictive exhaust system and fit a full race system. That was my first task but have taken it one step further with some featherweight Dymag rims, a few carbon fibre bits (ram air ducts, front fender, single seat unit), an Ohlins shock (which not only is lighter than the stock item but has transformed the handling) and Ohlins fork springs. To be honest, the '98 wasn't really a heavy bike to start with, even by today's standards. At least fit a race can as a cheap alternative (trust me, you'll notice the weight difference between the stock can and a race can, they're so heavy!)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here goes for nothing as i love messing around with zx6's i have a few answers to the clicking noise you all are experiancing yes you guessed it all kawasaki zx6r's will do this at some stage of there lives this being one of few things the head stock bearing which has already been mentioned in a previous post could be to tight or to slack if its to tight you will get a weaving feeling whilst you are riding and the handling feels well shit. Chech your torque settings in your manuals and set it correctly very easy to do without paying some greasy little shit head in overalls to mess with your baby.

The one which it is most likely to be is the bobbins that hold your disk assembly together are worn this causes then to give the clicking noise you will have to get someone to do these for you unless you have access to a bearing press to pop the bushes out this will get rid of your clicking noise.
Also before spending your hard earned cash take of the calipers and check the dust seals check all seal wheather 4 pot or 6 pot calipers have a look at the points where the piston leaves the metal sleeve if the seal is perished or hanging out simply pull them out these are as i said only a dust seal and dont affect any of the performance of your brakes simply apply a copper slip grease or simlar around the area where you have removed the seal this will keep out the road film and water / dust ect ect
The seals when knackered can cause the pistons not come out as far as they should and more you pull on your brake lever causes the piston to pop and bite on the disk causing the clicking noise.

You should also check the run off on the disks as this can also cause the clicking especialy if your pads are worn because the disk spins and the pads are worn you get a few milimetre gap between the pad and disk and you grab a fist full of brake this will give the clicking noise to simply replace pads to eliminate the noise.

Hope this as been of use to some of you happy riding

john
zx6rf3uk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.