Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help guys. How do you go about loading a motorcyle onto a pickup??? I just can't figure how to do it. Would i need a ramp? How about wood as a ramp? Do i need a few extra hands? Its just a general question thats been in my head. How do everyone else do it???
thx people:D
napsterninja

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Just joking. I remember someone discussing about it. But I couldn't find the thread.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
When I bought my bike I dad to go to Germany to pick it up. A 2 and a half hour ride. With hills mountains you name it. You can mkae it happen you just have to take your time and think. At a miniun you will need three people to help load and unload. I placed my bike catty corner in the bed to spread the load. six tie down straps only used for 2 were back up. tape the straps down to keep them from flapping.
Everyone will say somthing different take care of your baby the best you can but I would put nothing else in the bed with the bike.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Three people? What for? I've loaded and unloaded my bike by myself several times, though that was always into a van or trailer so the height/elevation difference wasn't that big, meaning I could keep the bike upright while stepping into the van. I use a wooden ramp, two 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 umm whaddayacallem, planks, boards, held together with crosspieces. Works just fine. If you don't attach your ramp to the pickup/van/trailer you will want to have someone make sure it doesn't slip when you take out/down your bike. Company is always nice, of course, and it is a good idea to have someone help if you're unsure of what to do.

There's a million ways to tie it down, just make sure it can't move and that it won't tip over. Straps will probably rub no matter how much tension you have in them, so it's a good idea to protect any parts of the bike that the straps touch that you don't want wear on. Definitely use the "wide canvas ones with the ratchething" type straps as kmn5 said in that other thread. Also stop and check on the bike(s) after a little while and see if some straps need tightening.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I loaded and unloaded my bike about 3x all by myself. I only used 4 tie downs. Make sure you have towels though just in case the strap touches the plastics some where. hitting bumps will cause them to rip the paint right off the fairings.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Don't put a cover on it either, if it's in the bed of a truck, because the constant flapping of the canvas or nylon against the plastic will cause it to fade and get millions of tiny scratches.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My technique. First gear, feet on pegs, butt slightly elevated off of seat and ride that sucker up. Don't clutch it till the back wheel crests the tailgate. AKA dirt bike load.
Unloading. Milk crate to step on on the way down, lot's of patients.

I have a slightly lifted F150 4x and a curved aloo-min-ium ramp.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There's a lot of small hills in our area so we put the tailgate down on the truck and back up the truck till the tailgate touches the top of the hill, then ride the bike up the hill and onto the truck......its a one person manuver, quite simple too if you dont have a ramp!:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's a strap available at any parts shop that is made to tie down your bike with. It goes accross the handle bars and makes a perfect place to connect the tiedowns without touching any part of the bike. And again, make sure you get the ratchet type tie downs. The cam-locks don't get tight enough or hold as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.