Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. First of all, I KNOW powdercoating would be the way to go, but that's not an option at this point.

My ZX6-R's frame rails looked like shit. I sanded them with a DA sander, cleaned them up very nicely. Used self etching primer (3-4 coats) lightly sanded that. Sprayed with high-temp Martin Senoir (sp) silver paint. Cleared over that. It looks pretty good. Color isn't 100% but it looks a hell of a lot nicer than it did.

However, I REALLY, REALLY like the black frames on the new bikes. I still have the bike apart and I think I'm going to undo everything I did so far and go with black. My question is on how to do it. Are the steps I took when I sprayed the rails silver good or should I go about it differently? Any advice on technique, primers, paints, clears, etc.. are not only appreciated but also encouraged. Also, keep in mind I will be SPRAY PAINTING IT. I can't afford to have it done in a both with a gun or anything like that, this is strictly a back yard (garage) project. Has anybody sprayed their frame? How did it turn out? How did it hold up?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
dont bother taking everything off if you will be spray painting it. just cover everything up (after you remove obvious plastics and brackets) and scuff up the surface by wet sanding it. just spray light coats of heat temp spray paint until you get the desired finish.

lights coats!!! expect for it to scratch easy to by rock chips and normal wear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bro. I was hoping with clearing it it would hold up somewhat well to chips and what not? I don't expect it to be perfect though, just nice. My big concern was the paint sticking, I saw one that was peeling like a mf'er.

·
Registered
45 Posts
if you dont mind me asking how bad is the tear down if i was wanting to powder coat the frame?

·
Registered
11 Posts
me and a buddy had my 04 completely torn apart in about 3hrs... all the bolts and grommets and everything. thats the easy part. the hard part was having to be carefull with everything putting it back together so we didnt scratch the frame

·
Registered
129 Posts
i have some painting experience and i would say that with the finish that is on there your best bet is to bead blast it otherwise i dont think paint is gonna want to stick to good to the frame even with a good sand your are not bonding to the metal with a base coat. Keep in mind that with spraypaint it is going to chip easy and not be the best quality of paint (compared to automotive). Your best bet would be the hi temp black paint they use for wood stoves

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I "touched it up" I used a DA sander with 320 to strip the factory finish and smooth out a few imperfections. Seemed to work well. Ideally I would strip the bike completely down but if I did I'd powder coat it. Thanks for the tips and your painted frame looks awesome by the way. So do the Orange wheels. Are they painted or coated?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks awesome. I would've never thought black & orange would go well together (Halloween) but it really came out great, beautiful bike.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Haha thanks, i got some more goodies that will be going on over winter, 05-06 wheels powdercoated to match the forks, gold crg levers and gold GPR.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts