Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to do? How do I do it? It's almost time to put her away :( I need to know the proper way to do it..

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
just kidding go to autozone and get a can of fuel stabilizer you have to pour about two ounces on the tank also take some presure of the tires pour some oil or something to prebent moisture on all the parts that rust and also put 2 pieces of wood under the tires (they may crack with the cool temp if you dont ) thats it cover it with a tarp or something two loks on each rotor an alarm its better if you have the money( i learn the hard way ) lol and kiss her good bye until spring ,,,,,

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
in addition to Juan's post...

i also heard it's a good idea to put the bike on front/rear stands to keep the tires of the ground, helps them from dry rotting...but ofcourse on modern tires I tend to run out of treade wayyyy before they even show any signs of dry rot.

also take the battery out and store it in a dry place and put a trickle charger on it...

personally I also try and drain the carbs if my bike will sit for more than a month without any use. Helps them from getting gummed up and stuff...easy way to do this is take the bike for a ride and turn the fuel off, after a couple miles the bike with start sputtering, take it hom and let it idle until it shuts off. You really want to ride for a bit with the fuel turned off and not just let it idle the whole time...

·
Registered
232 Posts
And dont forget to go there and talk to her every once in a wile they get lonely on the garage LOL

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
how much is a battery charger? u can just get them at hardware stores right?

·
Registered
232 Posts
about mmm depends...around 100 bucks maybe.. do what i do i just start her every month for a little

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
the only problem with starting her every month is that if you just let it idle for a few minutes, it wont produce enough "juice" to help the battery...and it's not really good for you bike since the oil doesn't get up to temp and doesn't really lub the engine the way it should.

you can try starting it and reving the engine once and awhile....

but a trickle charger is the best way to maintain a battery...

or move to a warmer climate where you can ride all year long ;)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
To learn how to prepare your bike for winter storage, check out this article.

If you only start the engine and rev it, condensation in the oil will not burn off and the battery charge will not refresh. To get the most out of the battery, get a tender.

I like the Battery Tender Junior. Check it out at batterytender.com.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
She's putting her bike away for the chilly season? Why? She lives in Denver. I lived there for 4 years and just kept on riding.

She's gonna be hurting come January when it spontaneously decides to be 65 degrees.

Better to ride it once every other week and keep the juices flowing than to suffer a winter's worth of teasing from the smucks in Florida and California.

BC.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rob I guess I am not as skilled as you are with riding in the snow. That is the main factor stopping me. Plus the gravel on the road, and the fact that it's fucking freezing! I am still riding back and forth to work now, and in the mornings it's about 35 outside. Add in the windshield factor at 80-90mph and I am popsicle by the time I get to work, only 15 minutes away. I guess I need better gear![8D][8D]

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
yeah weren't you going to pimp out Ash and she was going to take turns pimping you out?

i dont have a great memory, but when women say shit like that i never forget!!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.