Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
wow!! great write up. Im just starting to get involved in track, haven't been on one yet but i can't wait!! This is a big help to prepare...Thanks!!

I agree w/ hoser, rep this man for his time and passion for the sport.

·
Registered
103 Posts
great write up!! i'll be using this info in a week!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
great write up fo sho!!

there could be a rider prep section though. for those who have not done a track day before, be prepared to take a physical beating (even if you don't crash). If you're not prepared for it you'll have a hard time walking for the two days after, your quads will be on fire. I've started doing a lot of running and cycling to help condition myself, not only does it help build up your leg strength but it's helping me lose weight too. You'd be amazed at how much "just riding" can take out of you. Stretching is important too, lots of leg stretches in the morning.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Awesome post.

Question....does anyone just take their bike to the track for a track day?

1) I don't have a truck or anything to transport
2) It's only about an hour away
3) I could probably fit most of the essentials in a backpack and tape lights, etc there?

Do people do this or would I be laughed off the track?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Awesome post.

3) I could probably fit most of the essentials in a backpack and tape lights, etc there?

you can definitely find a ride to Loudon. when i get my bike fixed i'll pick you up on my way if you want to take the friday school.

it would suck to crash and have no way home.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Thanks for the info runfromme, will come in handy for my first ever trackday at Jennings on the 21st. Rep sent!

·
Registered
265 Posts
-Air Pressure Gauge - You will run lower air pressure on the track than you would on the street, even if you're using street tires. A good starting point for most tires is 32 front/30 rear. Check with the tire manufacturer or your local shop for their recommended setting. Set the pressure when the tires are cold.
One thing that I recommend doing is setting the pressures slightly higher before you get to the track (35-37 or so). This way when you have the bike there at the track, all you have to do is let air out to get them to proper cold pressures. It sucks having to run around to try and find a compressor/air pump (I found this out last weekend when I didn't factor in humidity the day before and it dropped a few psi the next morning).

·
Registered
471 Posts
^ bring a bicycle pump. they're light, relatively portable and unless your tire is completely flat, quick and easy to use in a pinch if you're just inflating a few psi

i've seen it done many times and it's possible, however it's best to find a ride there and split fuel costs with the other person.

you'll be very tired after your first trackday

·
Registered
103 Posts
One thing I'll add is to put a hose clamp on your oil filter. It costs $2 and can save everyone a lot of headaches.

It adds ZERO time to an oil change and is re-usable!

On many bikes, the hose clamp doesn't even need to be wired. If the space is tight, you can just rotate the nub of the hose clamp against the motor...and tighten. Worst case, you can safety wire it.

The biggest problem with oil filters is that 99% of people don't use a torque wrench...and everyone tells them to not overtighten them... so they end up vibrating loose just a bit... and spilling oil everywhere.

Anyway, at TonysTrackDays we require them - but in reality everyone should spend the $2 and do it.

Here is a link to a page with a "clamped" filter. Personally, when I wire a clamp I do it to the nub area (the part where the bolt is), but you can really wire it anywhere as long as the wire prevents the clamp from turning. (in this photo, it looks like the wire is around the whole clamp...it should be in one of the holes)
http://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/99/bike-preparation.htm

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
This may seem stupid and not apply for some of you but this is something to keep in mind for those of us in areas where it gets cold.

This was a tip that I got from a coach this past weekend.

When it gets cold, make sure your coolant won't freeze. If you're still doing track around this time, you know that it may be "warm" during the day but it may easily get below freezing at night.

The coach told me the story of a guy who trailered his bike to the track arriving at the track around opening. He unloaded the bike, started it up, and ended up cracking a head gasket or something like that. Turns out his coolant had froze or whatnot.

May seem like a stupid thing but it's one of those things you don't think about.
Learning that has definitely scrapped my plans to move to water wetter or whatnot.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Great write-up! It always seems like you forget th most important thing and don't realize it untill you need it.

Bike spares aren't the only spares that might come in handy. I always bring my other helmet, boots, and gloves. You never know what might happen. A get off, or even something as simple as dropping your helmet and your visor mount breaking could be a BIG pain in the ass. I like the piece of mind knowing there won't be much to keep me off the track once I get there :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts