Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am trying to replace my fairing and change the stator cover while i am changing my oil. i cant figure out how to pull the turn signal off though. i cant get the wires disconnected to pull it off. how do you do this? also how do you put it back in? i noticed their is a metal clip that looks like it holds it in and i cant figure it out. any other tips or pointers in doing this would be greatly appreciated. i dont really know what i am doing exactly.
thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
ok, let's see....
Start with the plastic rivets on the bottom. There should be 4 of them. Just push the center in until it clicks, then remove the entire thing. Next, there are 8 bolts holding the fairing on. Remove all 8, plus the 2 snaps things at the front. Once the fairing is loose, just unplug the turn signal and take it off with the fairing. Just squeeze the tab on the gray plug and pull the black plug out.
When you put the fairing back on, don't forget to plug in the turn signal. I know I've forgot a few times. To reuse the rivets, push the center part so it pokes out of the top and you can squeeze the fingers in, put it in the hole and push the center back it. It should click and that's it.

Hope that helps.

G

·
its pretty straightforward. remove the clips with a small flathead screwdriver (pry up the center part) and the screws with the correct allen key in the toolkit. as far as the signals, im guessing ur talking about the stock ones. i dont remember how those are held on, but to disconnect the wires just unplug the connector.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i got the fairings removed and the oil drained. now i removed the stator cover and how do i get the 4 bolts inside the stator cover out? i need to replace the cover. any other tips for replacing this?
thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
You need the proper TORX socket, dont use anything else. These bolts are tight, so be careful not to strip them. When re installing I used blue Loctite, you dont want one of these bolts coming loose and "circulating" around in there.

Note the dowel pins, somtetimes they stay in the motor and sometimes they stay in the old case.

Use a new gasket only.

Clean both surfaces of any oil and gasket material. Use a little RTV sealant on the rubber wire plug where it sits in the cover. Reinstall and enjoy.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Oh yeah, try to tighten in a diagonal pattern. Dont quote me on this but I think its a T25 size TORX bit if I remember correctly, and the bolt torque is 104 inch lbs. So dont crank em on too hard.
Somebody else may want to verify this

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i got the stator cover off and then i tried taking the 4 bolts off and stripped one of them and then didnt try the otehr ones. so i think i am going to take the cover into a shop and see if they can get the bolts out and then put them on the stator cover. any other tips you got for me, please say them because i am not quite sure on what to do with it.
thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok. i have the bike sitting in my garage right now with the stator cover hanging off the bike and no oil in the bike. is this bad? i am not gonna get time to take the stator cover to a shop til thursday atleast. is it possible to pull the stator cover off without pulling the 4 bolts out inside? i dont know how to disconnect that wire in it. help?
thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.