Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I lost my only key with the tag on it. I went to the dealer with my registration and proof of ownership and said they cant do anything without that key tag. I was told I could find the tag if i take apart the ignition or the rear compartment lock. whats the easiest way to go about this to get a new key made? should i try to get into the rear or disassemble the ignition, and how? thanks

Mitesh

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I dont want to be an ass.. but what the hell was your tag doing on the key??? The first thing I did when I got the keys to my 6r is give the tag to my gf to put in her jewlry box...
I think the worst possible place would be to keep it with your key!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry..
Must be quite the piss off..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, it was definately a stupid mistake. it was on there for more than a year... and i'm prone to lose things and i still didnt even think to take the damn thing off. any suggestions though?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
to remove the ignition, you must unplug the ignition " so follow the wires"

then take off the tripple tree,
then flip the tripple tree over,
then get a drill gun and drill bit and drill out the special rivets,

then go buy another ignition and some new breakaway screws.

and your done,

p.s. dont loose the next one, this process takes about a good 4hrs, and it dosent gain any horsepower so dont ask. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i tried just taking off the rear lock and found a code KL###, and when i took it in to the bike shop they said it was an incomplete code, or would only work for the rear seat, and the ignition would need another code. so i guess i'll take apart the ignition using slam150s method. thanks for the help guys

·
Powerhungry
37,951 Posts
Originally posted by essarty
i tried just taking off the rear lock and found a code KL###, and when i took it in to the bike shop they said it was an incomplete code, or would only work for the rear seat, and the ignition would need another code. so i guess i'll take apart the ignition using slam150s method. thanks for the help guys
they are wrong, unless the rear seat lock or ingition has been changed. the code on the rear seatlock should be the same. get the key made for the rear lock, then try it first. then if it doesnt work..go through the trouble of pulling the ignition

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I lost my only key. I called around, and I found a Locksmith that came out and cut a new one. It was $200. Works great...........

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
$200.00

f- that shit.

but if there is an easier way, let me know, im down to learn a new way for next time. :)[xx(]

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not a question to ask here IMO
To many bike thefts.

Not to say you didso but your dealer should have gave you the best info on how to go about it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.