Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to make this how-to for noobs like me. Hopefully it helps anyone seeking a little guidance.

Tools/supplies needed:
  • Dremel
  • Eye protection
  • Chain breaker/riveter kit (purchased mine from ebay for $50 shipped)
  • Rear stand
  • New chain w/ master link
  • Latex Gloves

Difficulty: Easy

Step 1: If your chain goes through your swingarm, to remove the chain you will need to “break/cut” the chain. To do so, put the bike on the rear stand and use a dremel to grind off 2 consecutive rivets off the chain.

Step 2: Use the appropriate size push pin and push the rivet out and the old chain can now be removed.

Step 2a: Now would be a good time to inspect the sprocket wear and also to clean the gunk accumulated around the front sprocket. I used WD40, a toothbrush & rag, and compressed air.
Before:

After

Step 3: Put the bike in neutral and slide the new chain through the front sprocket and wrap it around towards the rear sprocket. Use the rear sprocket to get the two ends together.

You may have some trouble getting the two ends together, if that’s the case, loosen up your chain adjusters.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 3a: If your chain is too long you will have to cut some links off of the chain. Repeat Steps 1 & 2 to cut the chain to proper length (double, even triple check that the length is correct, you don’t want to end up with a short chain).

Step 4: Take your new master link and install 2 o-rings (1 in each pin) and insert master link through the chain. Install 2 more o-rings into both of the pins and install the face plate.

Step 5: Press the face plate using the correct tool as pictured.

Step 6: Now the master link can be riveted by using the riveting tool and the correct size anvil.

Left side is now riveted.

Both sides are riveted.

Step 7: Ensure that you have proper chain slack and adjust accordingly. As mentioned by ryan97812, it is a good idea to wipe off the excess lube to prevent from flinging-off and getting you and your bike dirty.

Enjoy your new chain!

·
Registered
738 Posts
+1 on the great how to. It really is that easy too. A good chain tool is well worth it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Glad to see you got the right chain worked out for ya. I made a homemade chain riviter out of a c clamp and the cone from a steering wheel puller set.

·
Registered
200 Posts
nice write up, i usually replace the sprockets at the same time with a chain, but i guess yours weren't too old to begin with.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice write up, i usually replace the sprockets at the same time with a chain, but i guess yours weren't too old to begin with.
Yea I ordered a sprocket/chain kit and planned on replacing everything on one day, but the chain that was sent to me was too short. o I put my old chain back on so I could ride while waiting for the new chain to be sent to me.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
great write up i will defiantly be doing this one day now i have a little more knowledge to do it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Good write up. I noticed that you cleaned the area up around the front sprocket, looks like the shaft seal was leaking behind the sprocket. Might be the cause of all the mess around it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good write up. I noticed that you cleaned the area up around the front sprocket, looks like the shaft seal was leaking behind the sprocket. Might be the cause of all the mess around it.
The fluid beneath the front sprocket is actually WD40. I was about to clean it up and said... hmm wait lemme take a before and after shot lol

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
Pretty good write up, first time I've seen someone put a non-endless chain on there bike. Now that's a pain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
nice write up, replaced my chain not to long ago, but still need to cut off some links. Might want to note that the chain will stretch after riding. It was already known, but I was in a hurry to ride :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
GREAT WRITE UP! helped a lot. repped.

WORD OF ADVICE: i didn't have a dremel so i ended up using a metal file to flatten the master link. . .NOT A GOOD IDEA. it took forever. invest in a dremel!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
So cool. I'm sure my Dad has a dremel at his house. I will buy this tool kit and gold chain too. Thanks a million.

How do I know how many links I need for my new chain?

·
Registered
737 Posts
So cool. I'm sure my Dad has a dremel at his house. I will buy this tool kit and gold chain too. Thanks a million.

How do I know how many links I need for my new chain?
For stock sprockets (15/40) you will need a 108 link chain. You will need more if you go up in the back. You could always buy the universal 120 link chains and cut off the links you don't need. Good luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
good write up but only short cut is when you cut out the rivets on the y dont u just cut through the chain completely

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good write up but only short cut is when you cut out the rivets on the y dont u just cut through the chain completely
Yea, I guess you could do that, but what's the fun in that when you have the tools? ;)

This was my first time and wanted to try out every tool in the kit lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts