Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
great write up! will this help only throttle rsponse?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks so much for the detailed walkthrough, it's very much appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Scaramanga, I am planning on shimming my carb needles this weekend and just have a few questions about the vacuum valve cover o-rings.

- How many are there?
- Since they fall out where do you put them back in?
- Is it possible to simply place something underneath the cover to catch them (like a piece of paper) when I do remove the the cover?

Again, your post, walkthrough and help is very appreciated. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks, you are the man. To bad I am going away this weekend. Ill have to do it next week.

Some of you may want to take this time to do the pair mod while the tank is off. I will if I remember and have time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by STRIKER

Scaramanga, I am planning on shimming my carb needles this weekend and just have a few questions about the vacuum valve cover o-rings.

- How many are there?
- Since they fall out where do you put them back in?
- Is it possible to simply place something underneath the cover to catch them (like a piece of paper) when I do remove the the cover?

Again, your post, walkthrough and help is very appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Excellent questions!

-There is ONE o-ring per cover
-YES you MUST put them back (and it can be a pain to fish them out)
-Yes, not a bad idea. And it you are really lucky and lead a good christian life the o-ring may stick to the cover when you remove it (apparently I don't as only 1 out of 3 stayed with the cover).

And you're welcome! I simply wanted to help and I am really glad that the board admins want to share it with other 6R owners.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Andy_7676

sweet...thanks, this should be on the main board page....
Go ahead, I can handle the bandwidth! like I said, I made it for zx6R owners as a service. Plus I am exploring my own capabilities in making pages and making online manuals. Someday it may help me get a job.

One thing would be if anyone can verify if the carb needles are the same or darned similar in pre 2000 6R's. It would be nice know if the shims are the same for older models (which I highly suspect).

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would also like to know if it is the same for older models. I have my 97 that I want to do this to. Does any one know if it's the same, close or even possible. Thanks

P.S. I want to do this because a jet kit costs so much money. Will it be kinda the same result? Kinda?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by ZX6RinNC

I would also like to know if it is the same for older models. I have my 97 that I want to do this to. Does any one know if it's the same, close or even possible. Thanks

P.S. I want to do this because a jet kit costs so much money. Will it be kinda the same result? Kinda?
I think they will work. I am sure it won't hurt. If yu get some and they don't work I'll give you back the 2.37 -it would be good to know for sure.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I shimmed the needles on my 96 6r (23,000 miles) a couple of days ago. Basically the same procedure except for the following differences: there are four separate vaccum valve covers with 4 screws each, the second cover from the right has the choke cable attached to it making removal a bit more challenging, and the shimming was a bit different (no clip or plastic holder, there is a large spring then plastic holder before the needle), I put my washer over the needle and slid it back into the needle holder, before replacing the plastic holder and spring. I drove over a 100 miles yesterday and throttle response was improved midrange between 4000 - 9000 rpm. It did feel a bit sluggish above 10000 in 4th gear + at times. Not sure about this, but will be looking into... the washer shim is free so it may be affecting how the needle returns when letting off the throttle...?? I can not compare performance to a jet kit, only comparison is to the way the bike performed on Monday versus Wednesday. Sorry, I did not take any pics while doing my work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.