Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the story. I bought the bike with a full muzzy exhaust. From idle to 4k or 5k is pretty much dead... or from a curise of 4k to wot is dead till it hits 6k... then the green beast is released!

what's the deal?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Probably the easiest way to tell if there is a jet kit in you bike is to take one of the black plastic caps off the top of one of the carbs. Under it is a rubber diaphram attached to a piston. Carefully take out the diaphram (it costs about a $100 dollars if you tear it) and piston and there will be a needle sticking out the bottom of the piston. Push up on the needle and it will come out the top of the piston. If the needle is one solid piece it is the stock one and there is no jet kit in you bike. If it has a C-clip in one of about 5 slots you have a jet kit of some sort.

I have a Factory Pro 1.7 jet kit in my '95 and it will pull smoothly from 3,000 to redline with no flat spots. It is a little pricey but well worth the money. It also improved the fuel economy to about 40 mpg on the highway at 75 mph.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help...

is it common for the power band to ne dead from idle to 4k? its no really dead it just seems like its running rich or lean... all I know is that at wot from 3k to 4k(or so) its pretty limp... then all hell breaks loose

thanks...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the guy who went to the doctor and told the doc it hurts when I do this. The doc said then don't do that.

You aren't supposed to slap the throttle open at low rpms. If you are looking for power you need to keep the revs between about 8,000 and 12,000 or so. If you are not in that range you need to down-shift.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
inresting point... I guess your right... I guess it cool then... I'm just not used to the high revs... but yes down-shifting is ballz insane cool... ok I though my bike was a foul'n up

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
umm.. u can also see by taki n out a main jet... safer :) read the number on it.. stock is 140 (1,4 cylinder) and 145(2,3cylinder)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.